[Sis-csi] Limit of Cislunar domain

Kearney, Mike Mike.Kearney at nasa.gov
Sun Oct 9 09:18:00 EDT 2005

I was thinking the implication was that if L2 is on the far side, it's
not in line-of-sight of earth.  I think that's the reason radio
telescope projects have been talked about for L2, because the moon
shields them from earth's RF noise.  And if the comm relay at L2 is not
in RF line-of-sight, then another relay would be needed anyway.  But I'm
not a celestial mechanics guy, I'm just going from diagrams I've seen.

In any case, I think it's safe to say that lunar missions could have
some TBD elements at L2, hence extending our definition of Cislunar to
that point.

But another source says that L2 is 92,000 Km past the moon.

http://www.projectpluto.com/interest.htm

The earth-moon distance is 385,000 Km, and the round trip time delay for
earth-moon is 2.5 sec, I would think that the L2 round trip time would
be only 3.5 sec or so.  Not the 10 sec in your table.

385+92= 477,000 Km for earth-moon L2, not the 1,500,000 Km that you
listed.  I wonder if you got the distance for earth-sun L2 instead of
earth-moon L2?

I'm still confused about who wrote this table up to begin with.  Was it
Chris or Keith (Hogie)?  It's a great way to define the cislunar domain,
IMHO, anyway.

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney

NASA MSFC EO-01