[Sis-csi] noting unusual CCSDS security critique

Lloyd Wood lwood at cisco.com
Wed Oct 5 14:03:35 EDT 2005

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Scott Burleigh wrote:
(responding to a resend of Howard's note from a month or so back)

 >>  Hmmm, CFDP was just used for the first time on a
 >>  spacecraft in the past month.
 >
 > Actually CFDP has been in use for a surprisingly long time now.  The
 > first use was on AlSat-1 (Surrey Space Systems) starting at the end of
 > 2002, but that didn't get a lot of press.

Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd (SSTL) has since ceased use of its CFDP
implementation, and has switched to something giving higher performance.
That would make SSTL both the first to fly CFDP and the first to discard
in-flight use of CFDP as not meeting their needs. This is discussed in a
number of papers available from:

ftp://ftp-eng.cisco.com/lwood/cleo/README.html
(Don't use Internet Explorer for ftp. If you must, ensure Tools/Internet
Options... has passive ftp and show dir listings on.)

There's also a public Cisco presentation on the Cisco router in orbit on
the UK-DMC satellite available from that url (Adrian -- this addresses the
concern you raised to this list on 8 April). Last week the Cisco router and
UK-DMC satellite achieved two years in orbit. We will be receiving a NASA
Aeronautics Research Mission Directorate Turning Goals into Reality award
on 25 October for testing the router in orbit from Vandenberg.

 > The MESSENGER mission to Mercury (APL) began using CFDP in flight
 > shortly after launch, in August of 2004.  Deep Impact used CFDP
 > throughout the mission, starting in January of 2005.
 >
 > Don't know of any CCSDS-compatible spacecraft with cross links.

What are the various LEO spacecraft (SPOT-4, Envisat, OICETS) talking
through Artemis (Ka-band and SILEX laser terminal) protocol-wise? ESA tends
to call these 'inter-orbit links'.

See:
http://www.esa.int/esapub/bulletin/bullet91/b91dick.htm
A. Dickinson, G. Oppenhäuser, J. Sandberg, K.R. Derbyshire, A.G. Bird, L.
Balestra, P. Flament and F. Falbe-Hansen, The Artemis Programme, ESA
Bulletin 91, August 1997

P. A. Dubcock, F. Spoto, J. Simpson, D. Spencer, E. Schutte and H. Sontag,
The Envisat satellite and its integration, ESA Bulletin no. 106, June 2001,
pp. 26-45.

T. Tolker-Nielsen and G. Oppenhauser, In-orbit test result of an
operational optical intersatellite link between ARTEMIS and SPOT-4,
Free-Space Laser Communication Technologies XIV, Proceedings of SPIE, vol.
4635, April 2002, pp. 1-15.

for an overview of that.

L.

Lloyd Wood, London, UK. lwood at cisco.com  http://www.cisco.com/go/space
space initiatives manager, Cisco Systems Global Defense, Space and Security.