[Sis-csi] noting unusual CCSDS security critique

Howard Weiss howard.weiss at sparta.com
Wed Oct 5 03:04:29 EDT 2005

I took a look at this paper and I agree, its certainly unusual.  But I
mean "unusual" in the sense that its very naive and written from a
perspective of "lets take Internet attacks and see how they can be
applied to space."  Sure, some apply - in a manner of sorts.  But others
don't.

Right off the bat, the author thinks that the only barrier to keeping
someone out of a commercial satellite link is the high cost of a
transmitter.  Yep, that's one.  But what about the high cost of a dish?
Not to mention that a Big Ugly Disk (BUD) is something that neighbors
notice and complain about - at least in my neighborhood (not to mention
the TVI resulting from any sort of high powered transmitter - ever live
near someone with an illegal linear amp on a CB radio?).

It goes on to discuss source code theft - sure thats a problem but not
just for space systems.  And the goal is to assume that systems are not
cloaked under a false sense of security by keeping source code
"secret."  Look what happened to the GSM A3 COMP128 algorithm that
relied on remaining secret but was broken as soon as its detailed were
made public.  Not terribly robust!  Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and even
Solaris all provide source code yet remain relatively secure.  The paper
talks about buffer overflows as the latest exploitation craze - but they
are nothing new and have been around for a long, long time (I ran into
my first one 30 years ago).

Then there is a survey of news reports of stolen codes, denial of
service against military birds, reports of Falun Gong jamming, takeover
of control centers, etc.  And then there is a section talking about
video streams being sent over RTP port 160000?   What's this all about?
Is anyone using RTP over satellites?  And given the description, this
wouldn't matter if it was a terrestrial network or a network with a
space segment.  The space segment just replaces a land-line and the
description is of a typical man-in-the-middle attack (w/o calling it that).

Finally, this paper talks about CCSDS as if it were a single
communications "entity" rather than as an organization that recommends
standards.  A quote is "Satellites use the CCSDS C&DH, CFDP, and
telemetry services to communicate with ground stations and other
satellites."  Hmmm, CFDP was just used for the first time on a
spacecraft in the past month.  Don't know of any CCSDS-compatible
spacecraft with cross links.  Don't know what a "CCSDS C&DH" means - is
this a data handler that speaks using the CCSDS telecommand and CCSDS
telemetry standards?  The paper then goes on to talk about how one goes
about analyzing and trying to break any system - boundary checking,
field validation, null processing.  All good things to stress - but this
is not a issue with CCSDS standards as much as it is with implementers
of CCSDS standards.  Just like there are good implementations of
protocol stacks and are bad implementations (FreeBSD vs. Win95 for
example).

"Traditional space communication design sees security design as an
afterthought."  I don't know what "traditional" means in this context.
If it means civil science - yep that's right.  It it means deep-space
(e.g., MER) - right but who's got a 70m dish to talk to it?  If it means
geo comsat birds - no, not true.  If it means manned space - again not
true.  If it means military space - definitely not true.  If it means
navigation (e.g.,GPS) - nope not true.

While I'm not saying that the space segment is in great shape
security-wise or that no more work needs to be done (farthest from the
truth), this paper doesn't portray any semblance of message because it
appears to be making acusations against CCSDS protocols without full
knowlege or understanding and it could be talking about any other set of
protocols (e.g., TCP/IP).

IP-in-Space would suffer from the same sorts of threats as the author
postulates for what is called "CCSDS."  IPSEC provides protection
against upper layer attacks (above TCP) but IP is still vulnerable to
DoS attacks, buffer overflows, bogus packet fields, etc.  And after all,
IP is so well known that script kiddies can take it apart easily (not
that I'm advocating that the relative obscurity of space-only protocols
is a means of achieving security).  And IP has to ride over a link layer
protcol whether that means Ethernet in a LAN, 802.11 in wireless
applications, GSM or CDMA in cellular nets, or just about anything else
that handles bits to/from the transmission media (e.g. RF, copper,
fiber, laser, IR, tin cans & string).  Not sure why the paper plugs
Cisco NBAR and CBAC - what's that got to do with anything being
discussed?  Likewise with mentioning authentication for NTP (and
contrary to what is said, the NTP RFC did include shared-key
authentication).

Yep, it sure is an "unusual" paper.

Howie Weiss

--

Howard Weiss
SPARTA, Inc.

Mike Nichols: "Cheer up, life isn't everything!"