[Sis-csi] RF aspects of Cislunar

Keith Hogie Keith.Hogie at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 2 00:59:18 EDT 2005

All,

   As we are drawing diagrams of all these communication scenarios,
I was wondering if the group plans on addressing lower layer issues
like frequencies, modulation, coding, and framing.  By following
a layered approach, lots of work can be done at upper layers while
ignoring details of the lower layers.  But, at some point we need
lower layer radios and RF technologies that can support all sorts of
dynamic links between all our CEVs, rovers, astronauts, relay
satellites, ISS, ground, etc.

   Today's space communication systems tend to treat lots of
satellite communication as 2 one-way links with different solutions
in each direction (telemetry down, commands up).  That's fine for
a spacecraft that always talks to ground stations but it doesn't
work when you try to have any node communicate with any other node.

   I was just wondering if this group should be looking at low level
RF link solutions as well as upper layers.

   Keith Hogie                   e-mail: hogie at ipinspace.gsfc.nasa.gov
   Computer Sciences Corp.       office: 301-794-2999  fax: 301-794-9480
   7700 Hubble Dr.
   Lanham-Seabrook, MD 20706  USA        301-286-3203 @ NASA/Goddard