[Sis-csi] IPv4 vs. IPv6

Keith Hogie Keith.Hogie at gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 23 11:55:32 EST 2005

There is a nice paper on the GRC Mobile Routing demos at:

http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~ivancic/papers_presentations/F1317.pdf

   It talks about their use of IPv4 and Priorty HA routing.  However,
it also mentions that in many security environments, route optimization
is not possible.

   We ran Mobile IP tests on Shuttle flight STS-107 in Jan. 2003
with Mobile routers at TDRSS and multiple NASA ground stations and
our Home Agent located in our control center at GSFC.  We were not
concerned about route optimization since we wanted our traffic to
funnel through our control center.

   In a commercial Internet scenario there are many good
reasons for looking at route optimization with millions of users
and lots of broadband access locations.  In space scnearios, I'm not
sure there are as many reasons for optimization and there are often
desires to force traffic through a few paths.

   In the shuttle tests we did not use reverse tunneling so any data
delivered to a ground station was routed directly to its destination
via an optimal path.  The Mobile IP tunnel was only used for traffic
to the shuttle.  Traffic to space vehicles has traditionally been
very low rate (a few Kbps) and optimization was not important.  That
will be changing for Cislunar scenarios.

   A Cislunar environment introduces more complex routing scenarios
that are more ad-hoc network related than just Mobile IP.  A quick
Google came up with lots of activity in both IPv4 and IPv6 MANET.
Also the DoD is getting into lots of MANET scenarios.  They are
just doing their operations around the Earth instead of the Moon.
The DoD has also mandated IPv6 for their future projects.

   So it would seem that Cislunar should consider both IPv4 and
IPv6.

Keith Hogie