[Sis-csi] Cislunar scenario

Keith Scott kscott at mitre.org
Wed Feb 16 16:13:04 EST 2005

Here's my first cut at a scenario for going to to the moon.  Right now I've
just got a list of players and a rough storyboard, but hopefully these can
provide a skeleton to hang the rest on.

I think a good next step in fleshing this out would be to identify some
technologies that could be used (e.g. CCSDS AOS links from Earth to Crew
while in transit to the moon, 802.11g between crew capsule and astronaut
suits, etc.)

Comments welcome (especially additions),

        --keith

========================

Things that need to communicate:

Development / Test facilities
Ground Network (e.g. DSN stations)
Space Network (e.g. TDRSS)
ISS (not sure if NASA thinks of ISS as a possible space network relay or
not)
Launch vehicles (including 'combinations' like crew capsule + launch vehicle
when mated on the pad)
Orbiting assets (like several different assets (crew, supplies, booster)
that need to rendezvous in orbit before proceeding to the moon)
Astronauts in space suits doing EVAs
Lunar landers/rovers
Lunar orbiters
Lunar base

---------

Mars orbiters
Mars Landers/Rovers

======== Phases of operation ============
pre-launch:

Development / test

Launch Operations (crew, stuff may be launched separately but coordinated)

On-Orbit rendezvous

Lunar Transit
    Crew EVA

Land the stuff (stuff lands on moon, crew in orbit)

Land the crew (preferably near the stuff)
    CREW EVA to set up stuff

Science Ops
    Place remote stations
    Operate remote vehicles / stations from base station
    EVAs to look for interesting rocks

=======

Types of communications:

Voice communications to astronauts.
Continuous data comms (telemetry, health & status, low-rate video)
Busrsty comms (like HDTV news interviews)