[Sis-csi] Cislunar Working Group: Plans for Athens Meeting

Keith Scott kscott at mitre.org
Mon Feb 7 15:41:19 EST 2005

Greetings cislunar participants!

It's time to start gearing up for the May meeting in Athens.  I'm pretty
sure we can get two days of space for a productive meeting.  While much of
the Toulouse meeting was devoted to the SCPS updates, I'm looking to spend a
lot of time in Athens moving forward on the Green book and candidate
protocols.

For the Green book I think we need to:
   1) revise the current draft to make it more of an architecture
recommendation
   2) (in support of (1)): add one or more 'mission scenarios' against which
to beat the proposed architectures / protocols.

I'm hoping that the information NASA has recently released regarding the
Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) and some elements of the Crew Exploration
Vehicle (CEV) and Crew Transportation System (CTS) [see below] will be
helpful in firming up the green book.  I'm still going through the files,
but there doesn't seem to be a publicly available 'reference mission
scenario', though one can glean some parameters (excerpts below).

I'd like to set up a telecon late this week / early next week to talk about
an agenda for Athens and whether the above changes to the green book are the
right way to go.  Attached is a spreadsheet with times and places for your
name, email, phone, and when you're available.  Please mark the sheet and
get responses to me by Thursday morning and I'll set up a teleconference
bridge.  If you can't make any of the times, please let me know that too.

Best Regards and hope to talk to you soon,

        --keith

==================================
LRO-Related

NASA RFI for LRO:  <http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=15082>
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=15082

 <http://exploration.arc.nasa.gov/attachments/RFIFocusAreas1.doc>
http://exploration.arc.nasa.gov/attachments/RFIFocusAreas1.doc

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) mission will conduct measurement and
investigations of the lunar surface and environment.  Primary objectives
include high resolution topographic mapping of the surface, characterization
of the lunar radiation environment and investigation of potential in-situ
resource concentrations.  LRO's daily data volume is approximately 450
Gb/day.  LRO will maintain a 50 km lunar polar orbit for a period of 1 year
following commissioning, with the potential for up to 4 years of extended
mission in a low-maintenance orbit.  Possible extended mission scenarios
include additional measurement collection and proximity relay cross-support
for follow-on RLEP and international missions.

=======================

NASA Exploration Office Home:  <http://exploration.nasa.gov/>
http://exploration.nasa.gov/

    NASA Crew Transportation System (CTS) Requirements
<http://exploration.nasa.gov/documents/documents.html#req>
http://exploration.nasa.gov/documents/documents.html#req

ESS0160 The Exploration System of Systems shall conduct human exploration on
the lunar surface
with a threshold of 4 crew members, and an objective of 6 crew members
(TBR-15).
Rationale : A 4 person crew is the minimum number required to demonstrate
operations concepts for
exploring more distant destinations such as Mars. A 4 person crew
(threshold) allows two EVA teams (2
crew per team) to operate simultaneously or in series while providing the
capability for operational
assistance from the non-EVA crew. A 6 person crew (objective) represents the
most likely Mars
exploration crew size, based on previous studies. However, since human rated
launch capability is likely
to be a limiting factor on CEV capability, 6 person crew size is carried as
an objective only. Lower level
requirements for each element will specify the capability to operate with
fewer than 4 or 6 crew. Human
exploration includes the use of robotic elements as part of the system.

Draft CEV RFP:
<http://prod.nais.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/eps/sol.cgi?acqid=113638#Draft%20Document

http://prod.nais.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/eps/sol.cgi?acqid=113638#Draft%20Document