[Sis-csi] Cislunar Section 8 - definitions and stacks

Keith Hogie Keith.Hogie at gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 31 23:19:43 EDT 2005

Chris,

  Yes, we definitely want sections that current mission people can
relate to.  We need to start by just describing more network based ways
of doing their current circuit based operations.

  In the following types of scenarios I was thinking of the first two as
your existing unmanned and manned  areas that focus on current types of
operations.  We just do them with new applications and more network
oriented protocols.  We might want to go through the basic operations in
1 and 2 below without introducing things like relay systems.  This might
shorten these sections and it should make them sound more comfortable to
current mission folks.

Then it seems we will need some additional sections since at some point
we will have unmanned and manned systems interacting with each other.

Another thought is that relays are not too common today so we might want
to discusss them in a section (3) separate from the traditional stuff.
We would need to run through the basic scenarios from the previous
sections but would add realtime and store-and-forward relays.

Then in 4, non-earthly, we go off into scenarios that are both manned
and unmanned but they do not involve any interaction with or through
ground systems.  This is getting into scenarios that are very different
from most current operations.

In 5 we get into more that 2 systems communicating in all sorts of
combinations.

This is just one way of organizing the range of scenarios.  I think we
need to keep trying various combinations to find something that makes
sense to us and covers a wide range of scenarios in a somewhat organized
fashion.

1 - Traditional satellite/rover scenarios - GROUND controlling
satellites/rovers, data dumps, etc.

2 - Traditional MANNED scenarios - voice, video, telemetry

3 - More elaborate scenarios with RELAYS at network layer and above for
realtime and file store-and -forward  (not TDRSS, or other RF relay)

4 - NON-EARTHLY scenarios with unmanned and manned interaction without
Earth contact

5 - Scenarios with MULTI-PARTY communication, not just two endpoints

One other thought on terminology.

1 - When we talk about "ground" do we mean Earth only, or does this
include things on the "ground" of the Moon or Mars.  What about a
"ground station" or "control center" on the Lunar or Martian surface.

Keith Hogie

  Keith Hogie                   e-mail: Keith.Hogie at gsfc.nasa.gov