[Sis-csi] Cislunar Section 8

Keith Hogie Keith.Hogie at gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 23 15:17:58 EDT 2005

Chris,

   A couple of thoughts on section 8.

1 - The general process of laying out the systems and describing an
application and details of the flow looks good.

2 - You started with a scenario with 3 lunar relay satellites, 3
science satellites, 2 landers,
  and 2 rovers.  Should the
scenarios start with a more minimal set of components and then
scale up to more complex ones or should we focus more on all the
possibilities if you have a full complement of communication
resources in place?

   Does anyone have any thoughts on what resources might be deployed
in some sequence?

3 - The protocol stack diagram is nice but I'm not sure about the
AOS boxes.  Normally AOS is used for data coming down from space.
It also has Reed-Solomon coding on it.  The diagram uses AOS in both
directions.  Are we proposing the use of AOS and Reed-Solomon coding
both ways.  This would require R/S encoders at ground stations and
decoders installed on spacecraft?

   Do we want to get into the details of lower layer protocols to use
for two-way links or do we just worry about IP and above.  The
visions for the Cislunar environment are moving away from the normal
mode of sending commands to a spacecraft and receiving data from it.
If this group is not dealing with lower layers, should the diagrams
just leave them blank and start with the network layer?

   Keith Hogie                   e-mail: Keith.Hogie at gsfc.nasa.gov
   Computer Sciences Corp.       office: 301-794-2999  fax: 301-794-9480
   7700 Hubble Dr.
   Lanham-Seabrook, MD 20706  USA        301-286-3203 @ NASA/Goddard