[Sis-csi] The _other_ SCPS protocols (SP, NP, FP)

Donald P Olsen Donald.P.Olsen at aero.org
Thu Dec 9 13:46:06 EST 2004

Greetings:

I have been following this chain of email of late and since I am not a protocol person, I will only address the link level issue of bandwidth efficiency.  Since we are talking about an RF link and not a land line link, and since bandwidth in allocated
frequency bands is a finite resource, bandwidth efficiency of adding sequence counters etc for security what take as a percentage of the data rate, needs to be small and a few, perhaps no higher than 10 percent, for protocol overhead seems like a
reasonable number.

Don

             Howard Weiss <Howard.Weiss at sparta.com>
             Sent by: sis-csi-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org
                                                                                                               Ed Greenberg <egreenbe at jpl.nasa.gov>
             12/03/2004 05:39 AM                                                                                                                                                                                                                            cc
                                                                                                               Dave Israel <dave.israel at nasa.gov>, sis-csi at mailman.ccsds.org
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Subject
                                                                                                               Re: [Sis-csi] The _other_ SCPS protocols (SP, NP, FP)

Ed, Dave,

I will speak only for SCPS-SP.  Historically speaking, SCPS-SP was developed in parallel with the IETFs IPSEC.  I attended a large number of the IETF IPSEC meetings and followed the course of that protocol development.  The problem was, IPSEC was being
developed for the hardwired, terrestrial-based, high bandwidth Internet environment.  Protocol overhead, while taken into some account, was not a major issue - a few hundred bytes here or there does not bother people running over broadband circuits.
Wireless at that time did not play into the picture.

At the time of SCPS development, we were still working with the folks who were planning to orbit thousands of kinetic kill vehicles as part of the old "Star Wars" SDI program.  There were also the NASA folks who claimed bandwidth starvation and who
counted every overhead bit as too much (which is where I coined my phrase "bit neanderthals").  SCPS-SP was the response to both of these environements - an algorithms neutral, low overhead protocol that did pretty much what IPSEC did (in terms of
providing encryption and authentication/integrity services) but without all of IPSEC's bells and whistles (e.g,. IPSEC includes a 32-bit sequence counter to protect against replay - SCPS-SP says we can't afford such a thing and we hope that only TCP or TP
runs above with its sequence counter).

Do we still need SCPS-SP?  Only if the old constraints are still with us - bandwidth deprivation.  If we've got landline-like bandwidths - it can go away.  If we still have narrow bandwidth that needs security, SP will win over IPSEC.

Howie

Ed Greenberg wrote:
      Dave and Keith,

      I agree with Dave.  Someone should answer the first question (Does IP header compression replace SCPS-NP?).  But in that vain NP was designed to go where IP wouldn't and therefore it might still be a valid recommendation to keep .  I believe that SP
      was produced because there was no IP security spec at the time.  I believe that FP should be dropped, period!!!

      Ed Greenberg