[SIS-CFDPV1] revised draft specification

구철회 chkoo at kari.re.kr
Wed Dec 11 07:34:15 UTC 2019

Hi, Jeremy.

Appreciate for making good points to think about.
I don’t follow why do you think as you wrote

   ==> If a single checksum ID is allocated to each agency, the receiving entity will be unable to determine the "real" checksum in use, unless that data is conveyed via some out-of-band mechanism.

What I am suggesting is to let space agencies have a (or more if necessary) checksum ID in addition to the typical checksum algorithms in SANA registry (i.e., modular, Proximity-1, CRC32, CRC32C and NULL). For example KARI CFDP can be configured to support
0, 3, 15, and 5 (private checksum ID for KARI) while the other agency has 0, 2, 3, 15, 8 (private checksum ID for the other agency)

When a sending entity invokes a ‘filestore request’ with the Checksum ID 5, the checksum ID (5) will be put in Metadata PDU; thus a receiving entity can identify what is the “real” checksum in use automatically after parsing the Metadata PDU. There is no need of separate delivery for the checksum type in use. If the receiving entity has the implementation of the checksum algorithm (checksum ID 5) by a coordination with KARI, the file can be processed, otherwise it will not be processed and the “Unsupported checksum type” will be issued, which is the main point of a related testing scenario in the revised CFDP specification.

Cheol