[SIS-CFDPV1] CFDP interoperability testing

Burleigh, Scott C (312B) scott.c.burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 10 18:08:45 UTC 2015

Hi, all.  Now that we have converged on a consensus set of modifications to the CFDP Blue Book, we need to test the interoperability of two implementations of those modifications.  I think we've got two candidate implementations already in hand: ESA's CFDP implementation and the NASA implementation of CFDP in the ION software distribution.  What remains is to:

1.       Develop and document a formal test plan, including well-structured, detailed test cases for all of the normative technical modifications.  I think this can take the form of a new Green Book or possibly an updated edition of the existing "Part 3" CFDP Green Book.

2.       Conduct the planned formal testing and document the results of each test case.  There are a number of ways this could be done:

a.       Typically, the agency development groups for the two implementations interconnect test platform machines over a tabletop in a face-to-face test setting (e.g., during a session of the CCSDS working meetings).

b.      An alternative might be to test over the Internet, possibly deploying the test code on temporarily allocated virtual machines in a commercially supported "cloud", to avoid having to open holes in centers' network firewalls.

c.       Another alternative that just emerged this week might be for one agency to conduct the entire test, operating both implementations, with some third-party participant documenting the test results.  Chrysa Papagianni of National Technical University of Athens already has experience in interoperating the candidate implementations, so this seems like an option that might be simple and inexpensive.

3.       Draft a Yellow Book that fully documents all the test findings.

So, who among us would like to volunteer to take on which of these tasks?

Scott