[Sis-ams] Server quick-restart

Scott Burleigh Scott.Burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 2 16:28:27 EDT 2008

Ray, Timothy J. (GSFC-583.0) wrote:

>  Dear WG members,
>
>  The purpose of this email is bring up a possible minor tweak.  The
>  tweak is not needed, and I don't have a strong attachment to it --
>  just want to mention it...
>
>  If a configuration server dies and quickly restarts, the registrars
>  will not miss enough heartbeats to impute its death, and will
>  continue sending heartbeats.  If the Meta-AMS transport mechanism is
>  udp and the restarted server uses the same udp port, then these
>  heartbeats will reach the restarted server.
>
>  Would it be better if the server had a grace period at startup during
>  which it would ignore heartbeats from unregistered registrars (rather
>  than sending them a 'you-are-dead' message)?  The grace period would
>  last long enough to allow the registrars to impute the death of the
>  old registrar and re-register with the restarted registrar.

I see what you're saying, Tim, and I agree that it would be more
graceful.  Would the same behavior be appropriate for a registrar that
restarts quickly, before its cell's nodes have imputed its death?

On the one hand this is kind of a corner case and I am reluctant to add
any more complexity to MAMS unnecessarily.  On the other hand, I can
imagine operational scenarios where this situation might come up and
result in some confusion.  I'll take a crack at modifying the spec if
it's the consensus of the WG that this is a worthwhile enhancement.  Any
thoughts?

Scott