[Sis-ams] Re: AMS

Edell, David J. David.Edell at jhuapl.edu
Wed May 7 11:15:10 EDT 2008

Scott (& Pat),

This is one case where our APL-AMS is a bit non-standard, in that we are
using POSIX message queues as our primary/only transport service.  Using
this method, we have no data from the transport service to indicate a
message's origin.

An alternative, may be to designate the unused supplementary data in
these query messages as "reserved for optional transport service
extensions," indicating that the PTS may optionally include additional
routing/configuration information (ie: MAMS endpoint) if required.  The
field would otherwise be ignored by other transport services, which
would accordingly set the supplement data length to 0 when populating
these messages. This would free the protocol from additional limitations
on the transport service, without placing any unnecessary burden on the
standard transport services.

The registrar transmits the you_are_dead message in response to a node's
heartbeat timeout, which is what I was referring to.  Presumably the
echo should be the terminated nodes ID, but that is not explicitly
stated.  This is only marginally useful, but more so than populating the
field with a garbage/0 value.

	>From that point of view, what would probably be more useful
would be to deliver a Fault.indication when the absence of the registrar
is first noticed, and then deliver some other sort of indication --
something new -- when the reconnection succeeds, ignoring the timeouts
(since they don't change the registrar connection state).  But that
isn't quite perfect either, since the registrar could actually have been
dead for 30 seconds before AMS detected the third missing heartbeat and
notified the application.

That level of feedback could be a useful addition, but I agree that it's
not necessary for the current version.  During the
reconnection/registration period, any subscription attempts should
return an error message, so the purpose of the added fault may be more
to support external error reporting and/or recovery in an
application-specific manner if a fault condition repeats.

For now, generating the fault.indication on registration and optionally
on reconnection timeout seems a reasonable approach, but perhaps one
left as an implementation decision.  The parameter given to the
fault.indication call (defined as implementation-specific) may specify
the nature of the error condition, currently an enum value of
AMS_FAULT_TIMEOUT in my implementation, but may be sub-divided into
registration and reconnection timeouts.

- David