[Sis-ams] Revised White Book

Scott Burleigh Scott.Burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 1 14:24:58 EDT 2006

Hi, AMS fans.  We've got a implementation of Remote AMS working pretty
well now, and in the course of working out the problems in RAMS I
identified a number of opportunities to improve the AMS White Book.
This morning I posted a new revision to the AMS-WG CWE on ccsds.org, and
here are some notes on the changes I'm proposing.

1.   The subscription assertion and cancellation "supplementary data
values" in MAMS had to be expanded somewhat to include the number of the
continuum to which each subscription pertains.  Since invitation
assertions and cancellations don't need continuum number (they only
pertain to the local continuum), I needed to split the subscription
stuff out into two new items.

2.   A simplification, for once: it turned out to be much better for the
RAMS gateway simply to pay attention to all subscription activity
(including the subscriptions in registration and resynchronization
traffic) than to receive its own special-purpose MAMS messages, so I've
removed petition assertions and cancellations from the AMS and RAMS
procedures.

3.   In order to handle messages received from remote continua properly,
it turns out to be important that the zone names and numbers defined in
the local continuum be identical to those defined in the remote
continua.  What finally dawned on me is that "zones" are really units of
organization that cut across multiple continua, sort of the same way
that a big company's Sales division may include sales offices in a dozen
different cities.  In this light, the word "zone" starts to seem less
and less useful as the name for this concept.  So I have in effect split
the notion of "zone" in two and given each part a new name.  A "unit" of
an application instance is one of these cross-cutting units of
hierarchical organization, and a "cell" is the subset of a given unit
that is within a given continuum -- in the same way that a "message
space" is the subset of a given application instance that is within a
given continuum.  The cells (formerly "zones") in a message space nest
within one another in exactly the same way that the units of the
application instance nest within one another.  I've added a diagram to
the spec to try to make this a little clearer, but I suspect explaining
these relationships clearly will ultimately be one of the major tasks
for whoever ends up writing the AMS Green Book.

4.   Another terminology change: serious implementation and use of RAMS
makes the concept of the "application instance" so important that I
would like to use a less cumbersome name for that concept.  I've started
replacing "application instance" with "venture" in most places in the spec.

5.   In discussions with some people from the DTN world it occurred to
me that RAMS is very close to providing all the functionality that
people have historically hoped to get from "multicast"; the one feature
that is missing is the scalability that a tree-shaped forwarding
structure can provide.  I think this is a small enough change to RAMS to
be worth inserting, considering the potential benefit, so I have
proposed that the "RAMS grid" be generalized to a "RAMS network" that
can take the form of either a grid or a tree depending on the
requirements of the users.  This affects a couple of the RAMS
procedures, but I suspect that it won't make implementations a lot larger.

6.   Finally, as I was looking at the impact of enabling the RAMS
network to be tree-shaped I noticed an error in the procedure for
propagating an "announcement" through RAMS.  That error is now corrected.

I'm sure we'll be talking about some of this stuff in Rome, but if
you've got comments before then please feel free to post them to this list.

Scott