[Sis-ams] AMS deliberations

Scott Burleigh Scott.Burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jan 28 15:29:52 EST 2005

[Posting for Roger]

Hello Scott,

Happy New Year!

November does seem a long time ago, so I'm afraid I am having a little
difficulty remembering what the specific issue was that I brought up
that was not addressed by your initial AMS concept.  My main
recollection is how well the concept fitted with the MOIMS Mission
Operations [MO]service concept.

I will try and summarise our messaging requirements.
The application level MO services would be overlaid on a Common service
layer.
The MO Common layer provides support for a [hopefully small] set of
interaction patterns.
These in turn would be implemented through [potentially multiple]
undelying communications technologies/protocols.
Obviously, it would unify the CCSDS world if there is a good match
between these and the messaging services provided by SIS.
I attach I diagram I put together during the November meeting after your
presentation ...

We are in the process of, but have not completed, definition of the MO
Common Services.
My preliminary view is that we only need a small set of fundamental
interaction patterns:

-  Publish Subscribe
-  Request/Response
-  Mail?
-  File Transfer

The following shows a summary view of our common service pattern for MO
services:

It is the red services between service consumer and provider that we see
as being the principle subject for AMS, although the Replay service
should have a high degree of commonality with Observe.

Publish/Subscribe would support the MO Common "observe" service, in
which the service Consumer would register interest in a subset of
available objects and the Provider would respond with asynchronous
status update messages.  The published objects are either pre-defined
[in the configuration data] and known in advance to both consumer and
provider, or dynamically created by the provider, in which case the
consumer can only subscribe to a specific object if its ID has been
obtained in advance [e.g. in a response to a Control message], otherwise
subscription is to a scoped sub-set.

Request/Response would be used for transactional message exchanges, and
could be used to support the MO Common "control" and "manage" services.
 Two cases have been identified:  1) a control message from service
Consumer to the Provider, with optional response(s) from the Provider;
 2) a request message from service Consumer, with an associated response
message containing the requested data.

By "Mail" I mean an e-mail like service, involving delivery of messages
to a mailbox, that the recipient can retrieve messages from at some
later point in time.  Useful for unsolicited messages from Provider to
Consumer.
I'm not sure whether or not an e-Mail type interaction is necessary, or
even whether it is significantly different to Request/Response.  I
suppose we were starting from the position that the Request/Response
interface is based on an open end-to-end connection/session between
consumer and provider, while Mail implied some form of connectionless
store-and-forward.   However, this distinction may not be necessary if
requests and responses do not require an open connection, in order to
handle discontinuous contact.

File/Transfer would allow for bulk data transfer between service
consumer and provider, in either direction.  In a SIS context, we
assumed this would be provided by CFDP, not EMS.

All services would need to exist within a partitioned context.  In this
sense the world is partitioned in two dimensions:

"Domain":
This is used to decompose the world into a scoping hierarchy, to ensure
uniqueness of identifiers, etc.:
i.e. Mission.Spacecraft.Subsystem.Component.Object
The same service may be instantiated for multiple domains.  Its a good
idea to make sure you're conneting to the right spacecraft ...

"Session" or Timeframe or, I believe the term you used was "Continuum":
This is used to separate data that would otherwise be potentially
identically keyed - live operational data, multiple simulated or test
data series, and maybe historical replay data series.

The timeframe can be different for each session:  the live session is
presumably synchronised with the present;  simulated sessions can be in
the past, present or future; replay sessions can be past or future.
 Timeframe for simulated and replay is externally controllable - it may
be paused and stepped; or evolve at a real-time rate, faster or slower
than real-time, or at a random rate [e.g. as fast as possible].  Not
sure if this has any impact at all, other than the potential for
"continua" to be dynamically created ...
Not all services would be available for replay sessions - you can
observe history, but not change it.

Other issues to be considered:
-  User [Consumer] Authentication:  access rights may be limited to
certain services for certain domains and certain classes of session
-  Security
-  Quality of Service

Not sure if that's got close enough to the issue to identify the issue
raised in November.
Sorry its a bit of a ramble ...

Roger Thompson
SciSys Ltd.