[Sis-ams] Updated AMS White Book

Scott Burleigh Scott.Burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 12 15:58:51 EST 2005

Hi.  I've finished updating the AMS reference implementation at JPL to
conform to the revised AMS spec; it needs a lot more testing, but at
this point I think both it and the spec are stable enough to justify
advancing AMS to "Proposed Standard" (white book) status within SIS.
Bob, is there any formal procedure we need to work through to make this
happen?  The target date for publication (whatever that means) of the
AMS white book is December 19, according to our charter.

In the course of revising the implementation I found (as usual) a few
points in the spec that needed re-revising.  In particular, the whole
message space resynchronization procedure needed to be rethought once
again (and it is now finally implemented, in conformance with the
re-revised spec, though not yet tested).  So I've posted two new PDF
documents to the AMS-WG CWE: a new clean copy of the White Book,
replacing the one that was there before, and a "markup" copy that shows
what changed in the transition from the initial version to this new one.

The next milestone identified in the AMS-WG charter would be publication
of a Red Book in June.  I'm hoping that the spec is actually pretty
close to final now and that the application development and testing we
do over the next five months will make it reasonable to advance AMS to
the status of Draft Standard.  Time will tell.

One other bit of news: the AMS reference implementation is now ported to
Interix (Windows Services for Unix) as well and seems to work okay on
Windows XP Professional machines with Interix installed.  This may
simplify some of the development I want to do, such as building LabView
wrappers for AMS functions.

Scott