[Sea-time] A request for coordination from the SEA Time BoF

Berry, David S (3920) David.S.Berry at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 19 19:18:23 UTC 2019

Peter:

The "Navigation Data - Definitions and Conventions" is well understood to be non-normative. It doesn't "define" any time systems, just provides descriptions of time systems that have been defined by other authoritative entities. This document is cited by virtually all Navigation WG standards as an INFORMATIVE reference.

The Navigation WG itself does not (or has not) dealt with issues of time correlation and/or time synchronization as a CCSDS entity. It may be the case that this function resides in flight dynamics in some of the CCSDS Agencies, but I don't know. Of course we do depend upon timetag accuracy, as do many other space mission functions, but to my knowledge the timetag functions are handled by either tracking networks or spacecraft flight teams or both.

The most current information related to Time Systems provided by the Navigation WG (and targeted for use as values for keywords in Navigation WG standards) is now ON the SANA at https://sanaregistry.org/r/time_systems?sort=name  . At present this is a "candidate" registry, though we hope to have it "approved" in the not too distant future. If the names and descriptions are technically incorrect, we would of course like to correct that, but the material has been reviewed by knowledgeable WG members and I believe it to be substantially correct. The only time related TERMS we are defining are the NAMES of the time systems, and a description of the time system. Based on my understanding of the CCSDS SANA Registry Management Policy, I believe that the SANA is meant to be a normative source of "assignments" in instantiations of CCSDS Standards. So for example, there are many "time related terms" in the CCSDS Terms Registry, but very few of them are in the Nav WG Time Systems registry. The term in the CCSDS Terms Registry would in general NOT be acceptable in an instantiation of one of the Nav WG standards.

Regarding your heartburn with respect to the Nav WG intent for the CCSDS "Navigation Data - Definitions and Conventions", Green Book, we have indeed been discussing major revisions to the document, with the POSSIBLE future step of eliminating it. The first step has been to ensure that the terms in that document's glossary are present and correct in the SANA https://sanaregistry.org/r/terms registry, after which time we plan to remove the glossary from the document and refer to the SANA registry (this avoids duplication, inconsistency, etc.). The terms to which I refer are not "invented on the fly", but rather are terms used in common spacecraft flight dynamics activities. Also, please note that the CCSDS "Navigation Data - Definitions and Conventions" was first published in September 2004, and the "realized SANA" and the Magenta Book paradigm came along substantially later; if the Green Book needs to be changed, that can be discussed, but the existence and contents of this Green Book have not been an issue through 3 editions. And again, our https://sanaregistry.org/r/time_systems?sort=name registry doesn't define TERMS, it specifies a set of VALUES that are acceptable for various keywords in instantiations of our standards that relate to the time system used.

Regards,
David