[Sea-time] Existing Time Management BoF charter & supporting material

Jon Hamkins Jon.Hamkins at jpl.caltech.edu
Tue Nov 6 16:34:50 UTC 2018

Thanks, Peter.

The IOAG Service Catalog requests the following standards be developed:

• Clock Correlation Procedures [CC] - Magenta Book
• Time Transfer [TT] - Blue Book
• Time Synchronization [TS] - Blue Book

Do we all agree that these are still the appropriate books and colors to
be working toward?  Do we need to update our goals?  Thoughts?

On a separate topic, I have been thinking about what we discussed in
Berlin.  We mentioned time correlation and time synchronization as two
motivations for the work.  As we discussed, time correlation is
determining the offset between two clocks, and time synchronization is
setting two clocks so that they match.  The difference between these
concepts is quite small -- a time synchronized clock output is simply
the time correlated clock output time plus the value of the offset.  In
other words, after time correlation, a time offset is determined.
Whether this offset is used to explicitly synchronize a clock or is
simply added to the clock output each time it is read is an
implementation detail.  For this reason, I recommend that going forward,
we consider time correlation and time synchronization to be
fundamentally the same concept, with the same time correlation standard
governing them.

      ----Jon