[Sea-sec] Comment re: key sizes in Algorithm document

Ignacio.Aguilar.Sanchez at esa.int Ignacio.Aguilar.Sanchez at esa.int
Fri Jul 6 07:54:37 UTC 2018

Howie et al.,

I have seen Charles', Mehmet's and Daniel's contributions to your e-mail.

I would like to understand first what Mario means with backwards
compatibility and what it could actually mean in this context (does it
make sense at all?).
For instance is Mario implying that future implementations with the
recommended larger sizes are also capable to support smaller sizes, if
necessary, so that everybody is compliant?
We know that most spacecraft  implementations do not allow for in-flight
reprogramming of cryptographic functions to support different key sizes
(longer or shorter) or new algorithms. This means that any recommendation
for a different key size (larger in this case) makes those systems not
compliant.
So why should older implementations need to be compliant with a future
standard?
Aren't future standards written for future systems?
Maybe I am missing something but frankly, I am a bit at a loss with the
comment.

Kind regards,

Ignacio

Ignacio Aguilar Sánchez
Communication Systems Engineer
Electrical Engineering Department

European Space Research and Technology Centre
Keplerlaan 1, PO Box 299, 2200 AG Noordwijk, The Netherlands
Tel. (31) 71 565 5695
Fax (31) 71 565 5418
Email: ignacio.aguilar.sanchez at esa.int
www.esa.int