[Sea-sec] Comment re: key sizes in Algorithm document

Weiss, Howard Howard.Weiss at parsons.com
Thu Jul 5 17:36:33 UTC 2018

We currently have two documents in CESG polling for Agency Review.

On the Algorithms document, we have increased the minimum key sizes.  However we have a comment from Mario Merri (ESA):

"The main change is the strenghen of the authenticaltion keys. These have been increased, thus making implementations that followed the previous CCSDS recommentation not-compliant. Why has the document update not been made in a backward-compatible manner, still strongly recommending the new key lengths?"

Peter Shames suggested that we make the larger key size a "shall" but allow the smaller key sizes as "may" with a note strongly discouraging the smaller key sizes. This would satisfy Mario's backward compatibility issue.

Any comments?  Any disagreements?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

regards

howie

Howard Weiss, CISSP

PARSONS, Inc.
7110 Samuel Morse Drive
howard.weiss at parsons.com
www.parsons.com

Please consider the environment before printing this message

NOTICE: This email message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain privileged and confidential information, and information that is protected by, and proprietary to, Parsons Corporation, and is intended solely for the use of the addressee for the specific purpose set forth in this communication. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited, and you should delete this message and all copies and backups thereof. The recipient may not further distribute or use any of the information contained herein without the express written authorization of the sender. If you have received this message in error, or if you have any questions regarding the use of the proprietary information contained therein, please contact the sender of this message immediately, and the sender will provide you with further instructions.