[Sea-sa] Rough minutes from the 13 Mar 23 SEA SAWG RASDS telecon

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Mar 13 23:30:23 UTC 2023

Dear SEA SAWG members, RASDS subset,

We held a telecon on 13 Mar 23.  Here are the rough minutes.

  *   Several people had issues with CWE login passwords expiring.  The fix is to go to CCSDS.org, select CWE off that page, and then, before trying to login to the CWE, select the top line menu item marked “Password Management”.  This will take you to a password reset page.  From there follow the bouncing ball…
Attendees: Ramon Krosley, Shelbun Cheng, Fred Slane, Christian Stangl, Robert Rovetto, Peter Shames

Ramon

  *   Reviewed the Physical / Connectivity viewpoint intro materials in Chap 2.
  *   There was a stated concern that we might need to have a separate kind of “Connectivity” view for external RF & optical comms and for internal spacecraft bus comms.  After discussion it was agreed that for architectural purposes, as opposed to engineering design details, that the use of a common abstraction of Nodes & Links was acceptable.
  *   We discussed the use of the terms Component and Connector in the Physical Viewpoint and their correspondence to the Node and Link terms used in the derived Connectivity Viewpoint.   The notion of correspondence works to cover these terminology mappings too.
  *   Nodes, for this purpose, could be entire spacecraft, or ground stations, i.e. a system of systems, or they could be discrete components within a spacecraft, or even within a subsystem.  The more detailed engineering analyses are essential during design, but are not needed for architecture.
  *   We agreed to add some intro materials to address the whole transition from architecture into engineering within the early parts of Chap 2.
  *   => We agreed to use the MS 365 website ONLY for simple editing of text and not for major editorial works.  Check out the doc, make your changes, and then check it in again.
  *   => Alternatively, you can download the file, make edits using track changes, change the file name to reflect what was done and who did it, and upload the revised file.

Fred

  *   Presented the current draft of the SC14 Architecture overview document that is based upon RASDS.  It is not yet clear just what format and naming approach will be used for this document, since it is somewhat outside the norm for most existing SC14 documents.  There are some other SC14 docs  that have the same issue, so a way forward will be found.
  *   Fred introduced the concepts from Koki’s Quality of Life (QoL) or “downstream services” materials, that essentially address the kinds of human endeavors that some of the SC14 standards address.  Operational Services like search and rescue, emergency response,  tsunami warnings, GNSS/PNT services, etc all fit into this niche.
  *   After some discussion we seem to have arrived at an understanding that these QoL concerns can, at the outset, be treated as a set of desired Enterprise Capabilities that we would expect to use to drive discrete system design and development, and, eventually, operations.
  *   At the start of system design these QoL aspects would show up as requirements for capabilities.  During design they would be parsed into specific systems features, in flight and on the ground, and during operations they would be seen as services supplied by the delivered systems.
  *   This discussion led to a realization that the RASDS ontology, which was crafted specifically for the technical description of complex space systems, might need to be parsed somewhat differently for use in SC14.  The addition of the Services and Operations viewpoints, and the extension of the Enterprise viewpoint go a long ways, but more attention may need to be given in the RASDS framework to ensure that it can adequately support some of these other SC14 needs.
  *   An example of this is mapping of the standard mission phase model onto RASDS.  We talked about how this might be done using the RASDS Ontology as an initial conceptual framework.
  *   => see the file “RASDS++ Ontology scribbles” for an exploration of this, once it is uploaded.

Shelbun

  *   We agreed to try and create a “UML-like” diagram of the viewpoints and derived viewpoints for sec 2.1.  Shelbun produced an initial pair of BDD diagrams that showed the seven RASDS++ viewpoints, and the decomposition of the Physical Viewpoint into the Connectivity, Structural, and related views derived from the core Physical views.
  *   These diagrams were well received.
  *   We had a further discussion about whether we needed a new “Engineering” viewpoint to cover some of the SC14 topics and revisited the decision to leave it to the agencies to bring their own engineering / SE practices.  Engineering, and the “SE V” are important to the development phases of a mission, but we are treating this as separate from, but related to, architecture.  In a certain sense RASDS, and architecture, is about information (from a meta-model point of view) and engineering is about process.
  *   We agreed (again) to not include a new Engineering Viewpoint in RASDS++, but noted that SC14 may wish to add this, and the related I&T, V&V, and QA aspects to their adoption of RASDS++.
  *   => Peter agreed to try and create a set of overlays on Shelbun’s model that would capture the relationships between these architecture viewpoints and typical mission phases.

Follow-up Notes:

  *   The latest version of the document, 311x0p2 RASDS++ Draft 13Feb23, is in the RASDS 2020 Revisions working documents, located in the CWE at: https://cwe.ccsds.org/sea/docs/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fsea%2Fdocs%2FSEA%2DSA%2FDraft%20Documents%2FRASDS%20Revisions%202020%2FRASDS%20revisions%20draft%20documents&FolderCTID=0x012000F83FD93BEFF45E4FB5D1769B01CA762F&View=%7BA709F322%2D0E67%2D45C7%2D932D%2DCB78C55CE268%7D
  *   The current version of the document includes Fred’s Services Viewpoint, merged into the document as a new section 9.

Action items for next meeting

  *   => Peter to upload old v1 figures to CWE (DONE)
  *   => Ramon to explore the old figures from V1 and see if they can be used / modified
  *   => Ramon to generate new Sec 2 figures as needed, especially for Physical / Connectivity views
  *   => Fred to rework ISO SC14 draft doc as suggested by team
  *   => Peter to create new set of “scribbled upon” RASDS Ontology figures (see Fred notes)
  *   => Peter to create a new set of layered figures based on Shelbun’s UML model, attempting to show relationships between RASDS++ viewpoints and SC14 engineering and other phase related views.