[Sea-sa] Reference Architecture for Space Information Management - RASIM, CCSDS 312.0-G-1

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 7 14:36:47 UTC 2022

Dear SEA SAWG,

Back in the Dark Ages, i.e. pre-COVID, ok … scrap that.  The timeframe for this document was 2010-2013 and we could still meet face-to-face,  so that must have been the Light Ages.  We had an Information Architecture WG at that point which met jointly with the predecessor of the DAI WG in MOIMS.  The attached document, the Reference Architecture for Space Information Management (RASIM), was published by that WG in 2013 and it then put itself out of business.

This doc is only a Green Book, but it appears to still have value as a reference for information management topics.  The fundamental concepts and abstract functions are still relevant and the DAI WG has asked that we re-confirm this document to give it fresh status.  Other groups in various centers have used this document as a reference for their distributed data systems and endorse its continuing value.

Having said that, I am sure that there are new topics that could be added to this document when we have the time and resources to tackle it.  Concepts like Knowledge Management (KM), Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), and “big data” are surely ripe for inclusion, but most of these appear to be concepts that would really be built on top of this set of fundamental functions and concepts.

I would like to ask the members of the WG to review the document and identify whether there are any fundamental issues or concerns that would prevent us from reconfirming this document now, while we finish the RASDS and SCCS-ARD work.  Please take the time to review the document between now and the first week of July.  I will put this on the agenda for both the RASDS++ and SCCS-ARD subset meetings for the meetings in July.

If there are no outstanding issues the process can be as simple as a vote to reconfirm.  See A02.1-Y-4, Sec 6.2.7.

Thanks, Peter