[Sea-sa] It is a smaller sandwich: Background materials for today's SEA-SA SCCS-ARD discussion

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Wed Mar 3 18:18:35 UTC 2021

Dear Peter,
        I must say that I am quite puzzled by this mail.
I still need to digest all the aspects of your message, however I can
ensure that SLS (with proper coordination) will try to provide some
punctual technical comments on the individual items.

Here, after a check with SLS colleagues, I want to comment on your
statement about the “3-layer sandwich” .
Indeed that sandwich is not so big as you claim.

Actually all the following documents
https://public.ccsds.org/Pubs/131x2b1e1.pdf
https://public.ccsds.org/Pubs/131x3b1.pdf
https://public.ccsds.org/Pubs/431x0b1.pdf

clearly state that "This Recommended Standard covers the functions of both
the Synchronization and Channel Coding Sublayer and the Physical Layer";
i.e. the layers combined are two (or let's say 1 and half as one layer and
one sublayer are combined).
They all also show this (even with some minor differences) in their
"Figure 2-1: Relationship with OSI Layers" showing together the
1) Synchronization and Channel Coding Sublayer that provides methods of
synchronization and channel coding for transferring Transfer Frames over a
space link and the
2) Physical Layer that provides the RF and modulation methods for
transferring a stream of bits over a space link in a single direction

For reference the three figures are attached as snapshots.

Best regards

Gian Paolo