[Sea-sa] [EXTERNAL] SC14 meeting

r.krosley at andropogon.org r.krosley at andropogon.org
Mon Apr 5 22:42:44 UTC 2021

Here is how these issues have developed for SOIS:

There are elements of composition, which are the instruments and software objects on board a spacecraft, described by SEDS.  Also, there are deployment descriptions, which describe how the elements of composition are put together using subnetworks.  The SEDS-described elements have provided and required interfaces, and a deployment description matches the required interfaces with specific provided interfaces to compose a whole vehicle.  Recent work in SAVOIR and ancient work in SPA have extended the interface compositionality beyond subnetworks to include physical connections in the deployment description.  This compositionality is not yet well expressed in SOIS, but it’s how I understand it.

Here is how that can extend to RASDS:

I think that these two kinds of description, {elements of composition, composition of those elements into an assembly}, cover the gap that you see in limiting ourselves to just interfaces.  Fred’s comment that “we only want to standardize the interfaces” is addressed by the fact that we are actually standardizing the languages for these two kinds of description (SEDS in SOIS and RASDS in SAWG).  Neither SEDS nor RASDS is standardizing any interfaces, but we have languages now for people to describe assemblies glued by interfaces.  Calling the Physical/Connectivity viewpoint the “Physical Interfaces” viewpoint emphasizes what SEDS is doing.  For RASDS, we could possibly call it the “Physical Deployment” viewpoint.  However, I think that “Physical/Connectivity” says the same thing for RASDS.

This discussion leads to another thought:

Here is how we are currently considering distributing the physical structure and energy transfer information into RASDS:

The Services viewpoint in RASDS describes provided data interfaces.  The Functional viewpoint of RASDS indicates abstract deployment links between implicit required and provided data interfaces.  The Connectivity viewpoint in RASDS describes concrete deployment links that are conduits for the abstract links in the Functional viewpoint.  In the new Physical/Connectivity viewpoint being considered for RASDS, we are proposing to generalize the description of data interfaces and links to describe physical structure and energy transfer in addition to data.  Our current direction places all the physical interfaces and links into one viewpoint and uses the Connectivity viewpoint as the mechanism to relate those physical considerations to the data considerations in the other RASDS views.

Here is an alternative way to distribute the physical structure and energy transfer information into RASDS:

This relationship could be organized differently if we are willing to discard the data-centric nature of the Functional and Services viewpoints:  In this alternative organization, the Services viewpoint would include physical interfaces for structure and energy transfer, and the Functional viewpoint would include physical functions and their abstract deployment links.  The Connectivity viewpoint would include concrete links for physical structure and energy transfer.  The Physical/Connectivity viewpoint would not be necessary.

I could work with either of these organizing principles.

Ramon