[Sea-sa] Feedback on the current ASL GB Draft

ramon krosley r.krosley at andropogon.org
Tue Jun 12 00:53:03 UTC 2018

Today, I was reminded again of a missing part of the ASL green book content by materials that Jonathan distributed for our next SOIS teleconference.  This reminder comes from Mehran Sarkarati in comments on the details of Richard Melvin’s report on the “overlap” between MO Services and SOIS EDS, and it is summarized by Mario Merri.  Mehran’s comments say that the description of SOIS EDS in the yellow book lacks semantics, only expressing “receive data” and “send data”, while the descriptions (elsewhere) of MO Services “define operations with semantically meaningful arguments”.  Mario’s summary (in my words) says that we don’t need overlap; we need meshing.

These comments are correct, except for the lack of semantics in SOIS.  The situation is an example of how we sometimes “speak past” one another.

We have the opportunity in the ASL green book to show meshing between SOIS and MOIMS, instead of overlap or parallel play.  The capability to mesh interfaces comes from the presence of semantic content in both MO Services and in SOIS EDS.  An exercise is needed here, to compare the MAL terms with the terms that are available in SOIS, to show an example of how the meshing could occur.  If Roger can provide me with one or a few examples of MO Services with semantically meaningful arguments, then I can either find the terms in our DoT, or add them to the DoT, and extend our star tracker example SEDS with semantic tags that enable some form of meshing with the requirements of MO Services.

The result of this exercise could provide material to save the yellow book.

Ramon