[Sea-sa] CCSDS SAWG Telecon - 10 Aug 2017

Roger Thompson roger.rocketbrain at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 14 14:46:53 UTC 2017

Hi Ramon,

Yes, I agree that MO applications will also use SOIS CDA, Time Access and
Device Enumeration services directly.  I omitted these, as I was only
addressing communication between MO compliant applications using MO
services.  They were represented in the ESA diagram, however, and for
completeness I could see if I can integrate this into my diagram somehow.

On your point regarding efficient realisation - I agree, but note that the
MAL is a conceptual layer that may or may not be present as a concrete
software layer in implementation.  MO compliant applications should be
presented with the standard API for a given MO service - but this does not
require separate layers for the MO Service, MAL and technology binding.  The
bindings are essentially transforms that can be used by autocoding functions
to generate the required MO Service interface, but as all MO services are
specified in terms of the MAL, we need a standard binding or transform
between the MAL and underlying SOIS services (for messaging, file access and
possibly packet store access).   Innovation is clearly desirable, but so is
software re-use to reduce mission specific development costs.  The
specification of standard service interfaces can be a significant enabler
for re-use of application level software.  The MAL concept allows for
integration with new communications infrastructures through its technology
bindings, but it allows existing software functions to be re-used and
re-deployed in different contexts without significant redevelopment.

Cheers,

Roger