[Sea-sa] FW: [CESG] Proposed modification to CCSDS time-code format

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Sep 8 17:33:21 UTC 2016

Dear SAWG Colleagues,

In CCSDS it is typical that cross cutting topics get handled by the SEA Area.  Time codes are one such topic and the key CCSDS document defining these now needs to be reviewed.  The CESG has asked SEA to do this and the obvious WG to do this right now is the SAWG.

The current document, and a proposed page edit with some modifications that make explanatory updates, is attached.   The document itself, in its current published form is also attached.  Note that the most recent publication date is Nov 2010.   This is a relatively short document, at 43 pages in length, and the normative materials are only 8 of those pages.   Aside from it being time to re-confirm this document, what prompted this review was a confusion as to what was a valid truncation of the time code field, as described on pgs 3-6 and 3-7.   This has been discussed and resolved in the CESG.  The result was to agree that the document spec was correct as stated, and to acknowledge that it does allow a variety of truncations, but to clarify what is acceptable by adding the non-normative examples on the “ProposedMods” pages.

What I would like is to request some help from one of you.  Would one of you be willing to take on the task of reviewing this document, and the proposed modifications, and determine if there is anything else in this document that should be updated?  The only other item we know of is a reference in sec 3.5.1.d, pg 3-8, to “the need to accommodate the upcoming century rollover in only 11 years”.   Clearly that is now in the past and should be removed.

If there are only these sort of editorial changes these can easily be accommodated in a Corrigendum or as an editorial matter, but we need someone to review the document and make that determination.

Can I get a volunteer to do this so that we may discuss it, hopefully quickly, during the upcoming working meeting?

Thanks, Peter