[Sea-sa] Minutes from 21 Sep 16 telecon

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Oct 7 15:07:28 UTC 2016

Hi Ramon,

Thanks for providing this.  I think it is really useful and it is a bit of a surprise that it would be removed.  I guess the SOIS guys were often moving toward less specificity rather than more, which seems strange to me.  I would think that in some future SOIS Services Magenta book that I diagram like this would find a home, along with a description of how the EDS could be used to document the MIB contents and structure.

I think it's important to keep in mind that a Magenta Book is defined to be a recommended practice, that is not necessarily directly implementable.  I think the most important features that SOIS has brought forward are mostly conceptual and therefore entirely suitable for an MB.  They can inform actual designs but are not intended to prescribe them.  A Blue Book, OTOH, is intended to prescribe, in detail, the features of the interfaces, behaviors, and PDUs (as appropriate), but not to prescribe how these are implemented.

Thanks, Peter