[SEA-all] Restart SEA System Architecture Working Group (SAWG) for RASDS revision

Shames, Peter M (312G) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 24 18:06:45 UTC 2014

Dear SEA colleagues,

We published the Reference Architecture for Space Data Systems (RASDS). Magenta Book. Issue 1, in September 2008.   According to the CCSDS Procedures Manual, CCSDS A02.1-Y-4 , Sec 6.2.7,  it is now time (past time actually) to perform the RASDS Periodic Review.  We will need to restart the System Architecture Working group (SAWG) in order to carry out this work.

There are several possible outcomes of this review:

  1.  Reaffirm the document as it is
  2.  Make minor technical changes
  3.  Revise it by adding new material (such as a Service or Operations viewpoint)
  4.  Revise it and re-cats using more modern SysML and UML methods to replace / augment the current PPT drawing approach
  5.  Retire the document (Silver status)

Since the document consistently is in the upper 30-40 downloaded documents from the CCSDS web site, and it has been used by a number of different projects and documents both inside and outside CCSDS, it is probably pre-mature to retire it.

We will be discussing this further during the upcoming SEA Plenary.  Please give the subject some thought.   If you, or some of your colleagues, have an interest in this please contact me.

Thanks, Peter

Peter Shames
CCSDS System Engineering Area Director

Jet Propulsion Laboratory, MS 301-490
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA 91109 USA

Telephone: +1 818 354-5740,  Fax: +1 818 393-6871

Internet:  Peter.M.Shames at jpl.nasa.gov

We must recognize the strong and undeniable influence that our language exerts on our ways of thinking and, in fact, delimits the abstract space in which we can formulate - give form to - our thoughts.

Niklaus Wirth