[MOIMS] [CESG] Cross Support Architecture BoF Charter

Nestor.Peccia at esa.int Nestor.Peccia at esa.int
Wed Jul 20 10:43:41 UTC 2005

Dear all,

Please distribute in your Area and consolidate the comments. You can then
send it to me such that I consolidate MOIMS comments as a whole.
ciao
nestor
----- Forwarded by Nestor Peccia/esoc/ESA on 20/07/2005 12:40 -----

                      Peter Shames
                      <peter.shames at jpl.n        To:       CCSDS Engineering Steering Group - CESG <cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>
                      asa.gov>                   cc:       SEA-exec SEA-exec <sea-exec at mailman.ccsds.org>, Peter Shames
                      Sent by:                    <peter.shames at jpl.nasa.gov>, Clayton Okino <Clayton.M.Okino at jpl.nasa.gov>, SEA-SA
                      cesg-bounces at mailma         <sea-sa at mailman.ccsds.org>, Tom Gannett <Tom.Gannett at btas.com>
                      n.ccsds.org                Subject:  [CESG] Cross Support Architecture BoF Charter

                      20/07/2005 01:32

Dear CESG Colleagues,

The CMC resolves to ask the CESG to form a BOF to explore the subject
of developing an inter-agency "Cross Support Service Architecture". The
BOF is requested to generate a draft charter for a "Cross Support
Service Architecture Working Group" including identification of
information that is needed from the IOAG in order to supply the working
group with necessary customer requirements.

we have prepared a charter for a Cross Support Services Architecture
BoF.  This is attached for your review.  Note that this charter defines
work that includes a service catalog, service interfaces, the protocol
stack elements required for cross support, and both flight and ground
elements, as requested by our NASA IOAG members.   The intent is to
create a small core working group, but to try and also get
participation from all of the relevant CCSDS areas, and to secure
participation of IOAG-appointed members from the operational
organizations in at least the key member agencies.

This is not a request to approve this Charter, it is an opportunity to
comment upon it.  In particular I would like to solicit feedback from
the CSS and MOIMS areas, since these are the primary service interfaces
that will get exposed to users.  We also acknowledge in the Charter
that the full service interface actually cuts across the whole protocol
stack (SLS and SIS) and includes flight elements (SOIS), so we expect
these areas to at least review and comment on the documents as they are
produced.

Once we have dealt with any major issues in the Charter we will ask
that the CCSDS Secretariat formally send this to the IOAG Secretariat
for their review and action.  They are getting a head's up about this
at their current meeting.  We are explicitly asking that they identify
key technical contacts from the operational organizations of at least
three or four agencies in order to provide us with the following:

- The user level view of cross support services.
- Information on which cross support services they presently support
and which ones they plan to support in the future.
- A cross support organization's view of what will be useful in any
architectural description.
- Ongoing technical consultation to the BOF/WG at the working level.

Please provide your feedback and comments on the Charter by the close
of business, 29 July 2005.  Please also indicate who from your
organization will be available to participate in any planning telecons.

Thanks, Peter

(See attached file: SEA-CSSA-BOF-CHARTER16Jun05.pdf)

Peter Shames
CCSDS System Engineering Area Director

Jet Propulsion Laboratory, MS 301-265
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA 91109 USA

Telephone: +1 818 354-5740,  Fax: +1 818 393-1333

Internet:  Peter.Shames at jpl.nasa.gov