[MOIMS] [CESG] Preliminary glimpse at draft CMC resolutions

John Garrett John.Garrett at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 21 22:02:20 UTC 2005

Hi Nestor,

I just had a couple of comments regarding the resolutions.

Point 1.
I think CMC should remain as the approving authority for all CCSDS
documents.  CESG should recommend whether or not review is needed, but CMC
where all Member Agencies are represented should approve all documents.

Point 2.
As far as a registry portion for XML, IETF and IANA could serve as a
starting model.  They just register (via a simple text list) 4 types of XML
objects ( public IDs, namespaces, schemas, and RDF schemas) identified in
IETF RFCs.
Of course there are other aspects to XML use such as naming conventions,
etc.  Again there are many examples of current practice from which we could
start.

Point 5.
There is a pretty fundamental difference in default set up of Docushare and
CWE.  In Docushare the
default was that material for all WGs was available to any CCSDS member
(i.e. pretty much  anyone with a userid and password for the CCSDS
Docushare).  However anyone could add additional access
restrictions.    The default allowed CCSDS members to know about
and  benefit from work going on in other groups.  But for example, now in
CWE, I can't even get a copy of the Information Architecture book.   Even
though I am a member of the SANA BoF, I wasn't able to view the result of
the CESG vote on approval of the SANA WG or get information on the comments
provided during the balloting.  I can't find out what groups are using XML
without contacting the chair of each WG and getting the information from
them or requesting that they go in and alter the permissions so I can
access them (and I'll bet few if any of the WG or Area chairs know how to
universally add access for someone not in their group).
Too late know, but for future major transitions like this, it would be good
to have training at meeting before change is made, especially when they
know that current tool will disappear before the next international meeting.
Point 6.
However, it is also important to ensure that documents that are changed to
historical status remain accessible, since missions were built to their
specifications.  It is also important that although they become historical
documents, they should maintain their same number because current mission
are specifying them by that number.   Less critical, but a nice feature for
overall usefulness of the web, would be to provide a 'persistent' URL
address for each CCSDS document.  Otherwise each time CCSDS moves things
around on their web site, it breaks all kinds of existing links to CCSDS.

Point 7.
Will CCSDS be maintaining Ground Station information any more?  This is a
significant piece of Peter's view of SANA.  However, I understood Jack
Kelley did not want CCSDS to maintain it any longer.  He thought it should
be moved to IOAG responsibility.   Additionally, there have been some
general security questions raised about maintaining such a database.   Has
there been any discussion about these issues?

Cheers,
-JOhn