[MOIMS] [CESG] CCSDS Documentation: Configuration Control

Nestor.Peccia at esa.int Nestor.Peccia at esa.int
Thu Mar 25 16:58:00 UTC 2004

 Please,

Can you let me know what are your WG docs that were at work during the last year
?

What a mess !!!!

ciao

nestor

"Adrian J. Hooke" <adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov>
Sent by: cesg-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org
25/03/2004 08:27 AM PST

To: CCSDS Engineering Steering Group - ADs <cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>
cc: Stephen.Harris at btas.com, CCSDSGroup at btas.com
bcc:
Subject: [CESG] CCSDS Documentation: Configuration Control

ADs and DADS;

As we emerge from the better part of four months of uncertainty relative to the
Secretariat, I am extremely concerned that there is a real danger that we may
have lost configuration control of our document flow. As an example, in an
exchange this morning, Takahiro Yamada wrote:
In my restructured books, the Encapsulation Packet is only defined in a
recommendation called "Encapsulation Service" so that it can be used over any
Space Data Link Protocol.
It was published as a CCSDS Red Book (attached to this message) in April 2002,
but it has not reached the status of Blue Book yet (I don't remember why).
I therefore intend to task the Secretariat, as a matter of great urgency, to:

a) pull together an accurate picture (Area by Area) of the entire set of CCSDS
documents - White, Red, Blue, Magenta, Green, Orange and Yellow - that are
currently in the pipeline;

b) clearly indicate the status of each, and to identify if any are languishing
for lack of Secretariat, CESG or CMC attention.

Since we appear to have lost the corporate memory of Tom Gannett, the only way
that I can see to start this process is for each of YOU to review your program
of work and to identify:

1. All documents that your Area currently has in work, including name and latest
document number and date.
2. Where you believe they are in the review and approval cycle.
3. If they have not progressed on schedule, where you believe that they are
"stuck".

Since it is critical that we regain configuration control prior to the upcoming
Spring 2004 meetings, I would be grateful if you could kindly pay special
attention to this matter and supply this information by the end of next week (02
April). That will give us a preliminary picture early in April and should allow
us to be able to begin recovering from any major problems before the May
meetings. If necessary, I will schedule special meetings between the Secretariat
and each Area/WG during the meeting week in Montreal to resolve any residual
issues.

Please transfer this information directly to the Secretariat at the addresses
CC'd above, i.e., <CCSDSGroup at btas.com> and <Stephen.Harris at btas.com>, with a
copy to me.

Best regards
Adrian

Adrian J. Hooke
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG)
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory,
Interplanetary Network Directorate
M/S 303-400, 4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, California 91109-8099, USA