[MOIMS] [CESG] Overview of CCSDS Working Group Operating Processes

John Garrett John.Garrett at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 29 17:50:10 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm just sending comments now.  Perhaps we can update the charts later.

I think there is need for Administrative "A" Process also.
         CCSDS Operating Procedures, Strategy, Publication Guidelines all
should be reviewed
         and approved.

I'm assuming definitions of some things are elsewhere
These definitions are needed to ensure that we don't get caught in wrong
process
         e.g. hard requirement vs. prospective requirement
                 mission deployment, experimental deployment, decommitted
deployment

Some chartsmanship needed to show which track things are on.
         Is Experimental Recommendation on Non-Standards Track?
         Is Best Current Practice on Standards Track?
         If there are two tracks, may just need 2 processes?
         And maybe just Standards and Informational documents.

I think idea of Historic is fine, but don't renumber documents with
xxx.x-H-x number.
         Need a persistent ID to track documents and we don't want to have
several IDs for same.
         Also if we renumber, then we really should do it for each
superseded Blue and Red.
         Do Informational and Experimental documents move to Historic or
only Standard track?

Shouldn't Experimental track also involve Draft versions?  (5th chart)
         I don't understand why we think an Experimental version will
spring forth perfected but none    of the others would.

In general need to add appeal process when AD does not approve a new BOF.
         Should be able to appeal to MC (perhaps with CESG Recommendation
for approval or not)

Thoughout, CESG should not be approving things, the CESG should be making a
technical Recommendation to the CMC who is responsible for management and
approving things.
         Change CESG approves to CESG Recommendation in each chart where it
appears.

Draft WG Charter appears twice in Process W Chart.
         Make second one Final Draft WG Charter

Process "E"
         Draft version shown here, update earlier chart that showed
Experimental not having drafts.
         Is there any value in a formal agency review for Experimental?
         Not for chart, but what is criteria for approval of an Experimental?
                 Certainly everyone shouldn't need to think it is the right
way to go.

Process "S"
         Serious problems with this chart
         I'm assuming Proposed Std=White Book, Draft Standard=Red Book
         Formal Agency Review shown as review of white book, it is misplaced
         Also no Formal Agency Review shown for Red Book
         I think Formal Agency Reviews should be shown along main path,
                 not as something that sort of hangs off CMC approval.
                 Should show after CMC approval, Formal reviews should only
occur after CMC.
         Should show possibility of Experimental coming in as a Proposed
Standard (w/ approvals)

Process "W"
         Is is really necessary to set  up a WG to move something to
Historic status?

No where do we show process for handling 5 year reviews of all active
publications.

"E" Process and "I" Process are the same.
"B" Process and "S" Process should likely be the same or at least closer to
each other.

Perhaps "A" Process (for administrative policy, strategy, etc documents)
should be similar to "E" and "I" Process