[Moims-sc] [CCSDS SM&C] MAL Book 521.0-B-3

roger.rocketbrain at btinternet.com roger.rocketbrain at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 25 13:34:47 UTC 2022

Dear César,

Happy New Year to you too!

Please find attached, a copy of the draft MAL book with my comments
included.

Many of the comments concern clarification – either that we have a common
understanding, or that the document itself requires additional explanation
to be clear and unambiguous to its readers.

However, with my MPS hat on, there are a couple that have potential impact
on the MPS Blue Book, specifically:
*	Are ObjectRef and ObjectRef<T> separate MAL attribute types, or two
distinct formulations of the same MAL attribute type?  And which way round
are they?  My understanding was that we had a single ObjectRef attribute
type, with an optional declaration of Object Type and Area in an MO service
standard.  If the Object Type is specified in the standard (as
ObjectRef<T>), then this can be encoded as an implicit type (i.e. Area and
Type are omitted from the encoding of the ObjectRef).  If the ObjectRef is
untyped, then the Area and Type of the referenced object must be encoded
within the attribute.
*	Representation of Domain in ObjectIdentity and PubSub operations.
My understanding was this is represented an ordered list of
MAL::Identifiers, to allow for the specification of multiple levels of
domain hierarchy, rather than a single MAL::Identifier.  If it is a single
Identifier string, then we need to define the delimiter between levels of
the hierarchy as part of the MAL standard (could be dot “.”).
*	It is also stated in the draft that only the last element of the
domain hierarchy can be wildcarded (not sure how this works if it is a
single Identifier).  I think this is too restrictive, as it excludes the
possibility of subscribing to a common subsystem for multiple spacecraft in
a constellation, or multiple ground stations in a network – e.g.
galileo.*.aocs

I have detailed these points in the individual comments in the document.

Best regards,
Roger Thompson