[Moims-sc] CCSDS MO Green Book update

Mehran.Sarkarati at esa.int Mehran.Sarkarati at esa.int
Thu Apr 20 11:04:06 UTC 2017

Hi Sam,

In the discussions with MO new comers and even with some of the people who
have been around for a long time, the separation between "MO Framework"
and concrete "MO Services" has always been a source of confusion.
When people talk about MO, they very often mix the MAL design time
aspects, its run time aspects, the role of COM and COM services and the
concrete MO Services on top of the MO Framework as well as their
relationship to a particular encoding and  binding.

The best example is the discussion we had recently where after performing
a detailed analysis for a possible implementation, the involved persons
had missed after reading the standards (apparently they had missed the M&C
book) the point that "MO" includes also concrete services and is not just
an abstract framework!

I see that the proposed ToC tackles this in a number of places: "MO
Operations Technology" chapter as well as in "Mission Operations Design",
"integrating MO Systems"  and probably to some extent in "Developing MO
Applications".
This is good on one side as it is looking into different aspects and can
provide input for each aspect separately, at the other side the basic
questions and the big picture could easily get lost, if the information is
scattered in different sections.

It may be good to have early in the document a short chapter which shall
not be technical at all and written in a way that can be understood
without getting too much in the details explaining these concepts.
Something like

What is MO?
The MO Framework

What is a Generic Service and Data Specification Language good for? (
Design Time role of MAL and COM)
Model Driven Architecture: CIM-PIM-PSM
Implementation and communication independence
Machine Readable specification of interfaces
Auto Generation of Artefacts
Common Service and Data Meta-Model (common set of meta-data)
Service and Data Taxonomy
SOA Governance (Service Template, common design patterns and best
practices for capability specification, ...)
Why do we need a Common Object Model and what is it good for? (Common
Object Model Part of the COM)
Interrelating Objects from different Mission Operation functional contexts
(e.g. Alert --> Check --> TM Parameter --> Action --> Plan --> Planning
Request, ...)
Historical View of Mission Operation Entities
Unified handling of the common aspects of objects at service level
Removing Abstraction and getting very concrete (Role Bindings)
Selecting the Implementation Technology: (Explain Language binding and
what is it good for)
Selecting Communication Technology: (Explain encoding and communication
binding, at this level I think it is good enough to handle
encoding/transport as one)
Mission Architecture removes generality by fixing the choices: Deployment
Architecture, Selection of services and required capabilities,
optimisation, ...
What does MO Framework provide as added value in terms of functionality
(why shall I use MO as a framework)
Non-Functional aspects of Mission Operations (Run-time aspects of MAL)
Addressing and Routing of in complex operation deployment architectures
(where multiple operations entities, ground stations, relay satellites,
rovers, etc. are involved)
Reliable interaction provided at higher level than communication, e.g.
when using a non-reliable comms (reliable messaging provided at MAL level,
ensuring sequence of interaction messages based on selected pattern)
Incorporated Security at application layer (explain how MO Framework
architecture allows pluging in of security provider elements that would
allow authorisation at operation level or even content based, for instance
depending on the value of a parameter of an action) explain the difference
to communication layer security
Ensuring Operations Consistency at Application Layer: Explain Transaction
Management possibilities
Tractability and Auditing: Explain how the framework provisions means for
tractability of every invocation (Activity Tracking Service, ...)
Service Level Agreements and Quality of Service
Interoperability: Bridging the disparity in implementation (comms and
implementation technology)
Reusable Common Functionalities provided by the framework (COM Services
and COMMON Services + Broker which I believe should be a Service similar
to other COM Services)
COM and COMMON Services (utilities)
Multi-Casting of information (I think we should seperate the Pub-Sub
pattern from the generic broker multi-casting functionality/service)

The MO Services
Standardised Services
Custom Services

The Blue text is for your information only. I added it to illustrate how
the basic concepts of MAL (Design Time vs Run-time), COM (COM and COM
Services), Technology Bindings and COMMON Services are captured in a
non-technical way. The above structure could translate in a more technical
perspective to
- MO
  -MO Framework
    - MAL
       - Design Time
       - Runtime
    -COM
       - Common Object Model
       - COM Services
    - COMMON Services
    - Technology Binding
      - Language Bindings
      - Encoding and Transport bindings
  -MO Services
- Standard Services: M&C, MP&S, MDPDS, ...
- Custom Services

Another point, which I think could be useful to cover in the green book is
related to the "Operability Requirements" and how they are full-filled by
MO. At European level this is more formalised by corresponding ECSS
standard and how it could be mapped to PUS or MO. But more generically I
think the basic concepts of the Operability Requirements could speak the
language of the Mission Operators, hence useful for the Green Book.

Last but not least the link to the concepts of the Space System Model
could be incorporated in the Green Book. Also here at European level we
have the corresponding ECSS standard. The generic concepts can be useful
to explain the system context, especially for the M&C services part.

Regards
Mehran