[Moims-sc] CESG overlaps

Mario.Merri at esa.int Mario.Merri at esa.int
Wed Sep 3 16:06:22 UTC 2014

Nestor,

sorry for the delay in the answer. Below my comments:

Monitor and Control Recommendations: Spacecraft vs TTC Network
Here I believe there is an overlap which is currently unresolved.

My (simple) thinking is that SLE (or CSTS as they call it now) relates in
the transfer of TM and TC between GS and CC pretty much at protocol level
(i.e. w/o any understanding of the TM and TC data that is being
transferred). Therefore these are transfer services (as they are in fact
called).

As soon as you go higher in the stack and transfer meaningful data object,
you get into the MO Service domain. In this context the MD-CSTS overlaps
with the MO M&C Services. I also believe that the terminations of the
Transfer Services and MD-CSTS are different: at least in the ESA case, the
Transfer Services will terminate on one hand in the TMTCS and on the other
side in the NIS. For the MD-CSTS ESA will have to develop a TM parameter
provider at the ground station side while on the CC side the parameters
will be monitored by the MCS. This is the same interface that would be
required for MO M&C Services (which will eventually be the same used to
M&C the S/C). Also, this shows that the interfaces for Transfer Services
and MD-CSTS are completely different and there is little justification to
keep them with the Transfer Services. The same holds true for TD-CSTS.

Clearly, CCSDS could have specific service definitions for MD and TD, but
this will be largely inelegant and not a well engineered solution.

File transfer
The SM&C will only provide 1) a service to manage the transfer of files
(that will use whatever underlined FT mechanism, e.g. CFDP, FTP, SFTP) and
2) operations in relevant services to make use of files (for instance, the
SW Management MO Service will include an operation "load SW patch from
file".)

I believe there is no overlap here.

Archictures vs reference models
CSSA documents should include the MO Services in their architecture.
Possibly no overlap, but these docs could be the tools to identify/resolve
overlaps and provide a unified architecture to CCSDS space systems. This
is not the case now.

TLM, CMD, RNG services
For TLM and CMD, any MO service that needs to communicate with the S/C
will put the MAL messages in CCSDS TM/TC packets and these will travel
to/from the S/C as defined by the missions, i.e. via SLE if so decided.
Therefore, there will not be any specific MAL->SLE binding.

I believe there is no overlap here.

For Ranging, we go back into the application level services (so potential
overlapping), but I have not investigated in depth the matter.

Regards,

__Mario