[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] [EXTERNAL] Object name entries

Berry, David S (US 3920) david.s.berry at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 20 18:02:15 UTC 2021

Dan:

Thanks for doing this analysis.

My thoughts:

It's nice that most of the recent works of the group are well aligned.

ODM: Let's leave the OPM, OMM, OEM unchanged. Rationale: If we change them, it could be argued that we would have to do prototype testing of these messages (which we currently do not have to do since all that was added was a "COMMENT equivalent", i.e., "MESSAGE_ID"). Additionally, these attributes of the messages have been unchanged for at least 11 years (OMM) and 16 years (OPM, OEM). Operations software built on the older standards would have to be updated with costs to the organizations that use them. This rationale does not apply to the OCM; the OCM setup is not a problem.

ADM: Let's leave APM, AEM unchanged. Rationale: Same as above (except for duration of status quo). This rationale does not apply to the ACM; the ACM setup is not a problem.

PRM: Leave unchanged. Rationale: Modifying the PRM would require us to start a new project in the CCSDS. I'd prefer we spend our collective energy (document editor time, prototyping time, and especially internal reviewing time) on other already in-progress activities. The document will be up for 5 Year Review in 2 years and we can start a project at that time if there are other necessary/desirable changes identified.

TDM: Leave V.2 unchanged, consider for V.3. Rationale: This issue has not been identified as a problem by the user community. Up to 5 different objects, some of which are not spacecraft, can be identified in each metadata section of the TDM (using the "PARTICIPANT_n" keywords, n=1..5). Considering this topic as a change in TDM V.3 is fair game and Cheryl can add it to her growing list of potential changes.