[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] CCSDS Nav WG Fall Meeting #4

Oltrogge, Daniel doltrogge at comspoc.com
Thu Nov 12 20:37:07 UTC 2020

As promised, here is the CNES/NASA/CSSI/Iridium paper regarding the concept of relaxing the Pc threshold in certain cases where, in the unhappy circumstance that a collision were to occur, it would be unlikely to produce a large quantity of debris fragments.  This was the original paper (attachment #1).   A subsequent version is provided (attachment #2), as well as a paper seeking to validate the mass and area deteriminations.

Within attachment #2, I have highlighted the relevant text in yellow.  Ultimately, this is a very simple approach to implement (that they advocate):

  1.  Compute collision probability;
  2.  Determine the orbital regime;
  3.  If LEO, then determine (using the simple NASA Std Breakup Model) if we’d anticipate that this collision would generate more than 200 fragments;
  4.  If it does *not* exceed 200 fragments, then downgrade the Pc value by one order of magnitude (otherwise, use the Pc value “as is”.

The only potential area of complexity with this method involves the estimation of space object cross-sectional area and object mass, but I don’t believe that the CDM needs to contain normative content for that aspect; while the papers propose some methods on how one might be able to reverse engineer area and mass values, I believe that existing, available databases such as ESA’s DISCOS DB (which contains space object dimensions and mass) could be a recommended input for the CDM assessment process.

Dan

Dan Oltrogge
Director, Center for Space Standards and Innovation (CSSI) and Integrated Operations
COMSPOC Corporation