[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] "Navigation & Timing"

Berry, David S (US 3920) david.s.berry at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Jan 12 01:45:26 UTC 2020

All:

I've been assigned to review a document produced by the CCSDS System Engineering Area called the "Application Support Layer Architectural Description Document" (hereafter, ASL/ADD). This book abstracts at a high level functions of the MOIMS (Mission Operations & Information Management Services) and SOIS (Spacecraft Onboard Interface Services). Recall that the Navigation Working Group is organized under MOIMS.

Within the ASL/ADD, there is a MOIMS function labelled "Navigation and Timing". In my limited experience, the "timing" function is not within the purview of the navigation function; while navigation is obviously concerned with timing and depends upon its accurate measurement, so is nearly every other space mission function (I can't really think of one that doesn't depend at some level on accurate measurement of time).

So my question to the members of the Navigation WG:  Is "Navigation and Timing" a function in your navigation organization, i.e., is your organization responsible for time correlation, time distribution, time synchronization, etc.

Thanks