[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] FW: [EXTERNAL] CESG-P-2019-10-004 CESG Approval Poll

Berry, David S (US 3920) david.s.berry at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 23 08:08:54 UTC 2019

All:  I forgot to add the WG on copy to this response to Peter Shames.

David

From: "Berry, David S (US 3920)" <david.s.berry at jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 12:33 AM
To: "Shames, Peter M (US 312B)" <peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov>
Cc: CCSDS Secretariat <thomas.gannett at tgannett.net>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] CESG-P-2019-10-004 CESG Approval Poll

Peter:

Regarding Condition #1:  Yes, it is possible that an RDM could be tampered with, but as you point out this is a more general consideration within the CCSDS. When the Navigation WG discussed the prospect of adding a checksum, we came up with a couple of potential drawbacks to the approach. One thing that comes to mind is that if a checksum is computed on an XML version, and that message is converted to a KVN format, the checksum would likely no longer be valid. The use of a checksum is more often used to detect errors in transfer rather than tampering; someone knowledgeable of the content could re-engineer the checksum. There are other issues as well... We are not knowledgeable as to whether or not the CCSDS Security Working Group has any guidance on these matters.

Regarding Condition #2:  I propose to address Condition #2 by changing "in the registry" to "in any of the above listed registries" (there are 7, including the XML schema, 2 pre-existing registries, and 4 new registries, all of which are "Approved").

Please advise as to the acceptability of these responses to the conditions.

Best Regards,

David

Navigation WG