[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] Simple Report on Nav WG books / Jun 2018

Berry, David S (3920) david.s.berry at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 20 18:42:41 UTC 2018

Mario/Brigitte:

Per your request, here is the "simple report" on Nav WG projects as of our 20-Jun-2018 telecon. Note: In this version I have changed the order of the report to "document number" order.

500.0 Navigation Data—Definitions and Conventions Green Book: Version 4 updates are in progress. An updated draft (3.6) is anticipated in mid-July. At this point we are hoping to request the CESG/CMC Polls and publication between the Spring 2018 Meetings and Fall Meetings. The Lead Editor (at Glenn Research Center) has lost funding for standards work so progress is very slow.

500.2 Navigation Data Messages Overview - Green Book:  Version 2 updates are in progress. A first draft of this document is currently in internal review.

502.0 Orbit Data Message (ODM): The current draft is P2.37, distributed in mid-February; it is currently in internal review. It's becoming fairly mature at this point. We have proposed migration of some material from ODM Annexes to be migrated to the SANA, so we are working with the SANA Operator to set up the required registries (a first set of material was provided to SANA this week). Next draft is expected around the end of July, but may be a bit later depending on how the work with SANA proceeds.

503.0 Tracking Data Message (TDM): The TDM Pink Book Agency Review commenced 25-May-2018 and is scheduled to end 24-Jul-2018. To date, no RIDs have been filed (though there is at least one pending "internal RID"). The prototyping test plan draft is nearly complete given current knowledge, but may have to be expanded depending on outcomes from the Agency Review.

504.0 Attitude Data Messages (ADM): Version 2 updates are in progress. The next draft is targeted around the end of July; we still need to incorporate the XML sections. A new message in addition to the APM and AEM will be added (the Attitude Comprehensive Message, analogous to the ODM's Orbit Comprehensive Message).

505.0 Navigation Data Messages XML Specification (NDM/XML): Start on this has been delayed. It was originally thought that this would appear after the ADM, ODM, and TDM had all been revised. During the Spring Meeting an idea was proposed to remove only the TDM/XML at this time since it is closest to being completed and the others will take up to another year to complete. Then when the updated ADM and ODM are published, another revision project will be necessary. This plan was approved by the Working Group at last telecon. A first draft of the reduced scope revision will be distributed in Summer 2018.

508.0 Conjunction Data Message (CDM):  We initiated the 5 Year Review discussion of this standard (published June 2013) at the Spring Meetings. We have determined that "retire" is not an option given the wide usage. We continue to collect proposed revisions from users to see if they warrant a decision of "revise", but have not concluded those discussions; we expect a decision in mid-July 2018, but this could be deferred until Fall Meetings in order to discuss face-to-face and confirm available resources. A small set of corrigenda has been requested of the Secretariat in conjunction with migration of the "CDM Originator" registry information into the SANA "Organizations" registry; the CESG Poll and CMC Poll to apply the corrigenda have been completed and we await application of the corrigenda to the Blue Book.

508.1 Re-Entry Data Message (RDM): Our CMC Poll for the RDM Red Book Agency Review completed 08-Jun-2018 with 9 votes to "Adopt", so it is assumed our Agency Review will commence shortly. Prototype planning (ESA/DLR) is underway.

50x.0 Navigation Events Message (NEM): A first White Book is anticipated in time for the Fall Meetings. To date most of the work is foundational: list of candidate events, requirements, XML structures for events, XML processes for generating event messages, etc. Good progress is being made.