[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] Simple Report on Nav WG books / Jul 2018

Berry, David S (3920) david.s.berry at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 25 15:06:29 UTC 2018

Mario/Brigitte:

Per your request, here is the "simple report" on Nav WG projects as of our 25-Jul-2018 telecon.

500.0 Navigation Data—Definitions and Conventions Green Book: Version 4 updates are in progress. An updated draft (3.6) was anticipated in mid-July, but is now delayed until at least the beginning of September. We are still hoping to request the CESG/CMC Polls and publication around the time of the Fall Meetings, however, the Lead Editor (at Glenn Research Center) some time ago lost funding for standards work so progress has been very slow. He has been put into an impossible situation. Accordingly, he and I have discussed re-assigning the work to a new Lead Editor in the WG. It is unclear at this point how this re-assignment will affect our schedule.

500.2 Navigation Data Messages Overview - Green Book:  Version 2 updates are in progress. A first draft of this document is currently in internal review. A second draft is anticipated around the beginning of September. Good progress is being made.

502.0 Orbit Data Message (ODM): The current draft (P2.37) is currently in internal review. It's becoming fairly mature at this point. We have proposed migration of some material from ODM Annexes to be migrated to the SANA, so we are working with the SANA Operator to set up the required registries (a first set of material was provided to SANA in mid-June, but has not yet been processed). Next draft is expected prior to the Fall Meetings.

503.0 Tracking Data Message (TDM): The TDM Pink Book Agency Review completed 24-Jul-2018. Only a few RIDs were filed. The prototyping test plan draft is nearly complete given current knowledge (one more test case to draft), but the Test Plan may have to be expanded depending on outcomes from the Agency Review and content of the RIDs. Given a few requests we have received for changes in the TDM, we anticipate that we will formally propose a TDM Version 3 project in the relatively near future.

504.0 Attitude Data Messages (ADM): Version 2 updates are in progress. The Lead Editor was unable to participate in the July telecon, so the following status is not very current. The next draft is targeted around the end of July; we still need to incorporate the XML sections (work in progress). A new message in addition to the APM and AEM will be added (the Attitude Comprehensive Message, analogous to the ODM's Orbit Comprehensive Message); a third draft of this was distributed to the WG last week.

505.0 Navigation Data Messages XML Specification (NDM/XML): Background work on this document and schema update is in progress. It was originally thought that this would appear after the ADM, ODM, and TDM had all been revised. During the Spring Meeting an idea was proposed to remove only the TDM/XML at this time since it is closest to being completed and the others will take up to another year to complete. Then when the updated ADM and ODM are published, another revision project will be necessary. This plan was approved by the Working Group at last telecon. A first draft of the reduced scope revision will be distributed in Summer 2018.

508.0 Conjunction Data Message (CDM):  We initiated the 5 Year Review discussion of this standard (published June 2013) at the Spring Meetings. We have determined that "retire" is not an option given the wide usage. We expected a "reconfirm or revise" decision during today's telecon, but attendance was light so the decision has been postponed until the next telecon in early September. A small set of corrigenda related to migration of the "CDM Originator" registry information into the SANA "Organizations" registry has been published.

508.1 Re-Entry Data Message (RDM): The Agency Review commenced 22-Jun-2018 and will complete 28-Aug-2018. Prototype planning (ESA and DLR) is underway.

50x.0 Navigation Events Message (NEM): The Lead Editor was unable to participate in the July telecon, so the following status is not very current. A first White Book is anticipated in time for the Fall Meetings. To date most of the work is foundational: list of candidate events, requirements, XML structures for events, XML processes for generating event messages, etc. Good progress is being made.