[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] FW: XML History Question

Berry, David S (3920) david.s.berry at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 18 19:42:29 UTC 2016

All:

This is the message I sought today regarding the use of XML in the Navigation Data Messages (specifically ODM). It may be open to interpretation...

On 1/12/16, 2:57 PM, "Thomas Gannett" <tomg at aiaa.org> wrote:

    David:

    The only thing that jumps out in terms of CMC resolutions is the following:

    CMC-R-2002-10-009 The CCSDS resolves to direct Panel P1J to utilize PVL, or preferably XML, in the CCSDS 502.0-R-2 Orbit Data Messages.

    That resolution resulted from a P2 recommendation that P1J should utilize PVL or preferably XML, and ODM was the only thing P1J was working on at the time.

    At the next meeting (April 2003), by the way, the following comments from Hubertus Wanke were recorded:

    "DLR-GSOC Flight Dynamics has concerns about a recommendation of CCSDS for the exclusive use of XML within all future data interfaces. DLR doubts that such a recommendation will be accepted by the navigation community, which considers XML to be an inappropriate tool for the representation of navigation data."

    I don't know what "a recommendation of CCSDS for the exclusive use of XML within all future data interfaces" refers to. It may be something P2 was pushing for at the time.

    I have CCed Neil Dissinger, who was the CMC Rapporteur back then. He may (but probably won't) remember something.

    Tom