[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] FW: CCSDS Events for Nav, CSS, and MO

Berry, David S (3920) david.s.berry at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Oct 9 14:34:33 UTC 2016

All:

Second of 2 emails related to event definitions for the CCSDS.

David

From: "Barkley, Erik J (3970)" <erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 5:20 PM
To: Sam Cooper <sam at brightascension.com>, Colin Haddow <Colin.Haddow at esa.int>, Mehran Sarkarati <Mehran.Sarkarati at esa.int>, "Berry, David S (3920)" <david.s.berry at jpl.nasa.gov>
Cc: Mario Merri <Mario.Merri at esa.int>, Dan Smith <danford.s.smith at nasa.gov>
Subject: RE: CCSDS Events for Nav, CSS, and MO

Dear Sam,

There has been a bit of development/refinement on the CSSM side with regard to the event definition.  Please see below.
The key items to note are the ability to make the uncertainty window around an event asymmetric and the ability to allow for agency specific extensions in a controlled/flexible manner while retaining a core inter-operable data format.  This is essentially what is addressed via the abstract parameter definition with several simple types for simple extensions and a complex type should an agency really need to state something involved.

With regard to your observation that this is aimed at future/predicted event definitions that is correct.  In general I suspect that when dealing with a stream of actual events, there really would no longer be an uncertainty window (then again, on board clocks often drift – especially for spacecraft in deep space).

The Rome meetings for me are rather difficult to arrange as I have other unmovable commitments such that I will only be attending from Wednesday on of the technical week.  Nonetheless, perhaps you, Colin, and David (whom I have asked via separate email), could get together for a joint session at the Rome meetings.  Alternatively, considering that planning for various working groups/agendas is already likely quite advanced, we could arrange to have a telecon, post Rome, leading to a joint session at the San Antonio (spring ’17) meetings.

Best regards,
-Erik