[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] FDM and RDM concept papers

Oltrogge, Daniel doltrogge at agi.com
Thu Jan 14 14:56:39 UTC 2016

Alexandru -

Congratulations on these draft messages - - I believe that they'd be very useful.

Three thoughts:

(1)    On the fragmentation message, it'd also be useful to:

a.       Provide a vehicle to convey results of simulation of the fragmentation (collision or explosion) event;

b.      Convey the outer boundaries of the fragmentation cloud (in a to-be-specified manner);

c.       Point from the FDM to other message types (e.g. OPM, OEM, and OCM) from within the fragmentation message to convey more specific and comprehensive fragment object orbit, force model and uncertainty info and keep the FDM as compact as possible.

(2)    On the RDM:

a.       Point from the RDM to other message types (e.g. OPM, OEM, and OCM) from within the reentry message to convey more specific and comprehensive reentering object orbit, force model and uncertainty info and keep the RDM as compact as possible.

b.      Find a way to convey the anticipated reentry footprint

c.       Consider the NOTice to AirMen ("NOTAM") as a sample type of message to alert to aircraft, seagoing vessels, etc.

Thanks,

Dan

Daniel L. Oltrogge
SDC Program Manager & Senior Research Astrodynamicist
Center for Space Standards and Innovation
Analytical Graphics Incorporated