[Moims-ipr] ISO Reconfirmation of ASCII English Standard

John Garrett John.G.Garrett at nasa.gov
Tue Dec 1 16:31:48 EST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

We have another reconfirmation to handle.

The ASCII English Standard (ISO 14762, CCSDS 643.0-B-1) is up for its periodic
ISO reconfirmation.

Country Representatives will send in ballots answering these questions
(my proposed US answers provided):
* next to an answer indicates that a comment is required.

1. Recommended Action  Withdraw, Revise/Amend, Confirm, Confirm with
correction of errors*, Abstain, Abstain with survey replies**
(Confirm)

2. Has this International Standard been adopted or is it intended to be
adopted in the future as a national standard or other publication? Yes*, No
(No)

3. Is the national publication identical to the International Standard
or was it modified?  Identical, Modified*
Reply only if the answer to Question 2 is Yes
(Skipped)

4. Is this International Standard used in your country without national
adoption or are products used in your country based on this standard?
Yes, No*
(Yes)

5. Is this International Standard, or its natiaonal adoption, referenced
in regulations in your country? Yes*, No
(No)

I think we should continue to recertify the ASCII English standard.
This standard is used as a recognized format for SFDU (and by extension XFDU).
We also use and refer to it in other Data Description Packages (DDPs) as a
base format on top of which we add additional information to describe our formats.
We also continue to hold data in SFDU format that labels the data with the
ASCII English Identifier (CCSD0002).  Economic considerations will
prevent us from converting all the data to any other format in the near
future.

If anyone feels the answers should be something else, please respond by
December 4th so we can provide the form to our national voting
representatives.

Cheers,
-JOhn