[Moims-ipr] Re: Resolutions for 5 year reaffirmations of the 5 DAI/IPR Recommendations now due

John Garrett John.G.Garrett at nasa.gov
Mon Mar 24 11:55:36 EST 2008

Hi Nestor,

I think NSSDC would object very strongly if SFDU were made not an ISO
Standard or not a CCSDS anytime within at least the next 15 years.  I
cannot see us converting all our data that is in SFDU to anything else
including XFDU in the next few years.

We don't need to deprecate a standard even if and when we have a
replacement.
ASCII and HTML are still standards when we have XML.
Fortran and C are still standards when we have JAVA.
CCSDS has several different Data Link Protocols. It has several
different compression standards. etc.

I think one sure way to start losing support for CCSDS and resources for
its standards efforts is to start making things that projects are
actively using not standards.   It will make it harder to get support
for adoption of new standards and it will make it hard for any projects
to commit resources to anything that would be viewed as a replacement
for standards they are currently using.

Cheers,
-JOhn