[Moims-ipr] Fw: [Secretariat] [CESG] CESG Final Review of XFDU Structure and Construction Rules

Nestor.Peccia at esa.int Nestor.Peccia at esa.int
Fri Jul 25 09:44:32 EDT 2008

Please your feedback asap
ciao
nestor
----- Forwarded by Nestor Peccia/esoc/ESA on 25/07/2008 15:43 -----

             Thomas Gannett
             <tomg at aiaa.org>
             25/07/2008 15:23           Nestor.Peccia at esa.int, "Adrian J.
                                        Hooke" <adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov>
                                                                          cc
                                        cesg at mailman.ccsds.org
                                                                     Subject
                                        Re: [Secretariat] [CESG] CESG Final
                                        Review of XFDU Structure  and
                                        Construction Rules

Nestor:

I have a couple of comments below.

Best regards,
Tom

At 07:19 PM 7/24/2008, Nestor.Peccia at esa.int wrote:
>There were
>also discussions with Tom Gannett and he did not think that the change
>was not large enough to trigger a new review.

Lou also remembers discussions with Howard Weiss in which Howard
assured him he did not need a security section in his
document.  Probably Howard and I are just getting old and having
trouble remembering things as clearly as Lou does, but I have no
recollection of ever discussing these changes with Lou.  If I had, I
probably would have communicated that we do not publish documents
containing technical changes that have not been reviewed by all the
CCSDS Agencies.

If the experts all agree that the changes are not significant enough
to require a final Red review, then there should be no problem
approving elevation to Blue status.  Since it appears the decision
that a final review is unnecessary was made in isolation by a few
individuals, it would seem appropriate that the CESG attempt to
determine whether that decision represents a consensus.

>Lou has had several email exchanges with Tom Gannett on the diagram
>quality including one where he told him that we could not do it on our
>current tool and he responded that if it was ok with us it was ok with
>him.

There have indeed been several e-mail exchanges on the subject, and I
have no expectation of receiving publication-quality graphics from
IPR.  Nevertheless, the quality of the graphics in the document is an
issue that should be considered in the approval process.

In my mind a more serious problem with the graphics is that they
APPEAR to be referenced as normative elements in the document.  Their
legibility or lack thereof notwithstanding, the significant
"editorial" change to the figure introduced under the heading
"NORMATIVE RULING" would seem to demand attention at this stage.  An
unambiguous statement in section 1 that the figures in the document
non-normative would be helpful, but I specifically recall discussions
with Lou in which he insisted that particular figure was normative.