[Moims-ipr] Re: [Moims-dai] URGENT: [CESG] CESG Final Review of XFDU Structure and Construction Rules

John Garrett John.G.Garrett at nasa.gov
Thu Jul 24 13:26:36 EDT 2008

Hi Nestor,

I have made contact with Lou and have some additional information from him.

The non-expansion of the bytestream object was an EDITORIAL decision.
When the final schema was produced it was impossible to see the double
line the shows the bounds of the bytestream object as opposed to the
data object. Sergey and I tried different techniques but could not keep
the schema at one  readable page and therefore did not include the
expansion.

The extension object was a concern  from the beginning of the draft Blue
Book generation. I had discussions with Don Sawyer and presented this to
the IPR WG during the RID discussions.  Neither Don nor the IPR WG
thought the change was large enough to trigger a new review.  I also had
discussions with Dan Crichton and Steve Hughes and they concurred that
the change was not large enough to trigger a new review.  There were
also discussions with Tom Gannett and he did not think that the change
was not large enough to trigger a new review.
The Implementation Report Yellow Book included extension object.

I have had several email exchanges with Tom Gannett on the diagram
quality including one where I told him that we could not do it on our
current tool and he responded that if it was ok with us it was ok with
him. I think that changing to a different design tool such as oxygen or
xml spy to get higher quality diagrams would be a major change.  Many of
the figures are the same figures as those that appeared in the Red
Book.  Any figures that were replaced are of the same quality as the
originals.  There were no RIDs or comments from the Red Book review
regarding quality of the figures.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
-JOhn